Lee Ai Ming is a consultant in Dentons Rodyk's Intellectual Property & Technology practice group.
She has practiced law for more than 25 years and specialises in intellectual property litigation particularly in patent infringement disputes. Ai Ming has represented both foreign multinationals and local SMEs in patent disputes involving cutting edge technologies in the fields of semiconductors, telecommunications, pharmaceutical preparations and biotechnology.
In the field of semiconductors, she represented for Intel Corporation in several patent infringement actions against Taiwanese semiconductor foundry, United Microelectronics Company Ltd involving microprocessor patents. She also represented the same client against leading fabless supplier of processor platforms, Via Technologies Inc in patent infringement actions involving chipset patents for computers.
She also acted for a leading manufacturer of mobile phones in patent infringement disputes with Qualcomm Inc involving patents covering wireless technologies in the telecommunications field, telecommunication standards and chipsets for mobile phones.
In the pharmaceutical and biotechnology space, Ai Ming is well versed with the patent linkage system introduced in Singapore as a result of the US-Singapore Free Trade Agreement, having represented pharmaceutical multinationals in patent infringement actions involving the freedom to operate, Bolar exemptions and compulsory licensing.
Besides patents, Ai Ming has also acted in trademark infringement and Passing-Off actions. Significant cases handled include defending ICI against Nippon Paints in a trademark infringement and passing off action over the use of the descriptor "3-in-1". She has also handled trademark disputes over proprietorship, non-use and well known mark status.
Ai Ming is active in various forums that help to promote innovation among SMES in Singapore. She helps SME clients build IP portfolios, enforce their IP rights in Singapore as well as in the region, notably China, and defend against litigation by well-heeled competitors.
Recently, Ai Ming led a team that successfully defended a local SME, Aurigin Pte Ltd against a patent infringement action brought on by ASM Assembly Automation Ltd, the world's largest assembly and packaging equipment supplier for the semiconductor and LED industries in what is believed to be the first successful revocation action in the High Court of Singapore and later affirmed by the Court of Appeal. She also acts for SME companies involved in disputes over Trade Secrets and breach of Confidential Information.
Ai Ming is the Past President of the Singapore Group of the Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA) and a council member of that association. APAA represents more than 2000 patent attorneys and IP practitioners in the Asia-Pacific region. Ai Ming is also active in the International Trademark Association (INTA) where she heads the Committee on Harmonisation of Trademark Law and Practice. INTA is a 131-year-old not-for-profit membership organization with more than 5,600 members in more than 190 countries. Ai Ming is a member of the Singapore Copyright Tribunal. This tribunal is granted the power by Parliament to decide on copyright royalty.
She is cited in a number of international legal guides, including The International Who's Who of Patent Lawyers, The International Who's Who of Trademark Lawyers, AsiaLaw Leading Lawyers, The Best of the Best among others.
Additionally, she serves on the boards of the Agri-Veterinary Board of Singapore (AVA), Keppel Land Ltd, K-Reit Ltd and HTL Holdings Ltd as an independent director.
- Confidential client: Acting and leading the transaction for Singaporean sofa manufacturer and leather tanner HTL International Holdings Limited in its S$38.3 million acquisition of German upmarket furnishing solutions franchisor Domicil Moebel.
- Who's Who Legal: Recognised as a Leading Practitioner for Trademarks, 2016
- Managing Intellectual Property: IP Star, 2016
- Asia IP Experts: Recognised as a Leading Lawyer for Patents, Litigation and Trademark, 2016
- Expert Guides 2016: Recognised in the areas of Patents, Trademark
- Chambers Asia 2016: Leading Individual for Intellectual Property
- Best Lawyers 2015: Intellectual Property, 2014 - 2015
- Asia Pacific Legal 500 2015: Intellectual Property, 2014 -2015
- International Who's Who of Patents Lawyers, 2014 - 2015
- IP Star, 2014
- Asialaw Profiles: Recognised in the area of Intellectual Property, 2014 -2015
- Asialaw Leading Lawyer: Recognised in the area of Intellectual Property, 2007 - 2014
- World's Leading Lawyers: Recognised in the area of Trademarks
- International Who's Who of Business Lawyers 2013: Recognised in the area of Trademarks and Patents, 2011 - 2013
- Asia Pacific Legal 500: Recognised in the areas of Patent, Trademark Registration, and Licensing, 2011 - 2012
- Winner of the International Law Office 2011 Client Choice Award
- Asialaw 2011: Recognised in the area of Intellectual Property and Technology
- International Who's Who of Business Lawyers 2009: Recognised in the area of Patents and Trademarks
- Who's Who Legal: Singapore 2008: Recognised in the areas of Trademarks, Patents and Franchise
Honors and Awards
- Legal's Finest 200: Client Choice for Intellectual Property Law Award in Singapore, 2015
Activities and Affiliations
- Past President, Asian Patent Attorney's Association (Singapore Group)
- Member, Singapore Copyright Tribunal
- Independent Director, Boards of Agri-Veterinary Board of Singapore (AVA), Keppel Land Ltd, K- Reit Ltd and HTL Holdings Ltd.
Prior and Present Employment
- Consultant - Dentons Rodyk (formerly Rodyk & Davidson LLP) (1982 - present)
- Francis T Seow (1978 - 1982)