Alvin is a Partner in Dentons Rodyk's Intellectual Property & Technology practice.
A tenacious and commercial-minded litigator, Alvin started his professional career in the field of general litigation and has focused on intellectual property and technology litigation since 2007.
Alvin has dealt with a wide scope of contentious matters relating to the enforcement of intellectual property rights. He has been involved in several High Court patent infringement cases covering a wide range of technologies including telecommunications, pharmaceutical preparations, biotechnology and semiconductors. He has also acted for clients in various court actions relating to the breach of copyright, confidential information and trademark rights.
Alvin advises and conducts contentious opposition, revocation and entitlement actions involving patents and trademarks in all levels of registry and court proceedings, and also assists clients in the planning and enforcement of anti-counterfeiting or piracy measures.
Apart from contentious work, Alvin also advises clients on various aspects of intellectual property acquisition, management and commercialization. He prosecutes trademark applications, manages and coordinates intellectual property portfolios for both local and overseas clients, and has experience in conducting IP audits for clients.
He has also negotiated and drafted licensing, distributorship, assignment, confidentiality, technology, settlement and other agreements and advised clients on IT, medical, advertising, data protection and other regulatory issues.
Alvin is recognized as a Rising Star Lawyer in the area of Intellectual Property in Asialaw 2016.
- Local company: Successfully defended client against a foreign multinational company’s claim for patent infringement of an invention relating to ball grid array technology before the High Court and Court of Appeal.
- Local SME: Successfully defended client against claims of breach of confidential information and copyright before the High Court.
- Multinational Communications Corporation: Advised in a complex patent and licensing dispute in the telecommunications field.
- Leading Japanese manufacturer of glass substrates: Defended client against claims of patent infringement
- Indonesian pulp and paper manufacturing giant: Carried out a major IP audit for tax restructuring purposes for the client.
- Multi-billion dollar Indonesian conglomerate: Advised client in developing a strategic IP management plan.
- Large pharmaceutical company: Acted in a patent infringement suit commenced pursuant to the medicines act relating to an invention used in the treatment of cancer.
- Leading hotel group: Acted in trademark invalidation proceedings commenced in the trademark registry by another leading hotel group.
- Local search engine provider: Represented client in multiple trademark opposition proceedings against the registration of the search engine provider’s trademarks commenced by a leading American multinational corporation in the field of consumer electronics, software and personal computers.
- Leading Japanese fermented milk drink manufacturer: Successfully resisted a trademark opposition proceeding against the registration of the client’s trademark in Brunei.
- American SME: Presently defending the client against claims of patent infringement by a multi-national American company in the semiconductor field.
- Leading manufacturer of ship containers: Acted in two patent infringement suits against several Defendants.
- Rokko Systems: Acted in its patent infringement suit against three local defendants.
- Leading bicycle parts manufacturer: Advised and coordinated private investigations for client based in Malaysia in relation to theft and pilfering of bicycle parts.
- Local culinary provider: Advised client in relation to a worldwide trademark dispute with an Australian rice company.
- Asialaw: Recognized as Rising Star lawyer in Intellectual Property, 2016
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific: Recognized lawyer, 2014
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific: Recognized lawyer in IP and IT areas, 2013
- Co-author, "Geographical Indications Bill Passed," Rodyk Reporter - IP Edge, June 2014
- Co-author, "Protecting Your Trade Mark In Myanmar," Rodyk Reporter - IP Edge, December 2013
- Co-author, "Singapore Parliament Passes Bill To Protect Personal Data," Rodyk Reporter - IP Edge, October 2012
- Co-author, "The Importance Of Relativity In Protection Of Trade Mark Rights," Rodyk Reporter - IP Edge, December 2007
Activities and Affiliations
- Trademark And IP, April 16, 2014
- Trademarks And Madrid Protocol; Enforcement Of Trademarks; Case Studies, July 4, 2013
- What Is A Patentable Invention And Lessons Learnt From Well-Known Patent Cases, March 11, 2013
- Member, The Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Asian Patent Attorneys Association
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
Prior and Present Employment
- Partner, Dentons Rodyk (formerly Rodyk & Davidson LLP), 2006 - present