Catherine Lee is a senior partner in Dentons Rodyk's Intellectual Property & Technology practice.
She advises a wide range of clients on the management of their trade mark portfolio around the world as well as on the commercial exploitation of their intellectual property rights.
Catherine has particular experience in commercial contractual work. Her scope of experience includes advising on a wide range of commercial matters and assisting clients in their expansion of their businesses out of Singapore. The types of commercial agreements drafted and reviewed by her include franchise agreements, licence agreements, collaboration agreements, distribution agreements and sponsorship agreements across varying industries.
She also deals with the enforcement of intellectual property rights, and has acted and advised on a spectrum of intellectual property related disputes such as trade mark infringement and cancellation actions, trade mark oppositions and breach of other intellectual property rights such as copyright and trade secrets.
With the introduction of the Personal Data Protection Act in Singapore, Catherine has also been involved in advising clients on the compliance with the laws surrounding the collection and protection of personal data. Catherine also advises clients on other regulatory compliance issues, including those related to labelling, advertising and consumer protection.
- Panasonic Corporation: Acting in the intellectual property & technology aspects of the sale and purchase agreement for the sale of three subsidiaries of Panasonic to UTAC Manufacturing Services Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of UTAC Holdings Ltd, a leading semiconductor testing and assembly services provider headquartered in Singapore. The three Panasonic subsidiaries being divested operate semiconductor testing and assembly facilities, and are strategically located in Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia. The total transaction value for the acquisition by UTAC will be US$116.5 million, payable over five years, inclusive of certain transitional services agreements with Panasonic.
- RB Capital Group Singapore: Acting on the intellectual property aspects of its acquisition of Gallery Hotel at 1 Nanson Road Singapore for S$232.5 million, which translates to just over S$1 million per room.
- Confidential client: Acting for Singapore company obtaining a US master franchise in the food and beverage industry and the subsequent sub-franchising of the business.
- Confidential client: Acting for Singapore company in the drafting and review of licence and franchise agreements for Singapore and overseas as well as subsequent dispute with licensee.
- Confidential client: Acting for a tobacco company in a revocation action of its trade marks as well as trade mark opposition proceedings against an international brand name.
- Confidential client: Acting for local company and individuals in dispute with competitor involving trade mark infringement, passing off, trade libel and malicious falsehood claim and successfully negotiated a settlement.
- Confidential client: Acting for a major Japanese multi-national company in a Singapore trade mark opposition and successfully secured the withdrawal of the trade mark application and a written undertaking in the early stages.
- Confidential client: Acting for Singapore company in the furnishing industry in the drafting and review of marketing and distribution agreement for Singapore and other territories.
- Confidential client: Advising US company on the various aspects of acquiring the assets of a medical clinic in Singapore and the setting up and marketing of a local medical clinic.
- Confidential client: Acting for established Singapore food company in trade mark opposition in China and successfully negotiated a settlement.
- Confidential client: Acting for local educational institution in the drafting and review of various template agreements and licensing agreements.
- HTL International Holdings Limited: Acting for Singaporean sofa manufacturer and leather tanner in its S$38.3 million acquisition of German upmarket furnishing solutions franchisor Domicil Moebel.
- Co-author, "Confidential Information and Copyright", IP Edge, April 2014
- Co-author, "Intellectual Property Audits", IP Edge, March 2013
- Co-author, "Can You Keep A Secret?", IP Edge, April 2012
- Author, "Protection Of Well-Known Marks in Singapore: A Review", Rodyk Reporter - IP Edge, March 2010
- Co-author, "Case Law Updates: June 2008", IP Edge, June 2008
- Co-author, "Make The Right Choice - Choose The Right Mark!", Rodyk Reporter - IP Edge, June 2008
- Author, "Registered Trade Mark - Use It Or Lose It!", Rodyk Reporter - IP Edge, September 2007
Activities and Affiliations
- Trademark And IP, April 16, 2014
- Trademarks And Madrid Protocol; Enforcement Of Trademarks; Case Studies, July 4, 2013
- Licensing Your Intellectual Property Rights, July 22, 2008
- In Focus: Intellectual Property, May 8, 2008
- New Ventures, September 13, 2007
- Member, Asian Patent Attorneys Association (Singapore Group)
- Member, Intellectual Property Committee, The Law Society of Singapore
Prior and Present Employment
- Senior Partner - Dentons Rodyk (formerly Rodyk & Davidson LLP) (2016 - present)
- Partner, Rodyk & Davidson LLP (2000 - 2016)