Low Chai Chong is a senior partner in Dentons Rodyk’s Arbitration and Litigation and Dispute Resolution practices, with a focus on Intellectual Property & Technology litigation.
Since 1987, Chai Chong has appeared in numerous cases before the High Court and the Court of Appeal in Singapore. Several of the cases in which he appeared as counsel have been reported in the law journals and law reports of Singapore and Malaysia, and have been the subject of academic articles.
Chai Chong has appeared as counsel for many multinational corporations in matters involving patents, trademarks, copyright, passing off, and trade secrets. His practice encompasses telecommunication and competition law, two emerging areas which have been increasingly active in recent years.
Some of his recent cases include Singapore Land Authority v Virtual Map; Singapore Telecommunications Ltd v Starhub Cable Vision Ltd; Virtual Map (Singapore) Pte Ltd v Suncool International Pte Ltd; Nippon Paint (Singapore) Co Pte Ltd v ICI Paint (Singapore) Pte Ltd; Rothmans of Pall Mall Ltd v Long Ai Sin and Another; etc.
- ICI Paints: Acting in a landmark High Court case, successfully defending the client against a claim for passing off. Judgment reported in  1 Singapore Law Reports 1.
- eGuide Singapore Pte Ltd: Acting in a copyright infringement suit worth more than S$250,000
- Reed Business Information Pte Ltd: Acting in a copyright infringement case worth more than S$250,000.
- Street Directory Pte Ltd: Acting in a copyright infringement suit worth more than S$250,000.
- PT Modal Investasi Mineral: Acting in a conversion of US$1 million claim against Majestic Investment Corp. Obtained judgment for a sum in excess of US$1 million.
- Confidential client: Acting in an arbitration under the SIAC Rules against a politically connected person in Brunei for sums worth US$200,000 and other damages.
- PT ATPK Resources Tbk (a listed company in Indonesia): Acting in a claim against five parties for conversion of Rights Issue shares and damages worth more than US$7.5 milllion. Successfully obtained a cumulative judgment against the Defendants for the sum of IDR156.8 billion (approximately US$17 million).
- A listed education services provider: Acting in a SIAC arbitration against a vendor with claims and counterclaims amounting to S$15 million
- A Singapore public listed company: Acting together with a Queen's Counsel in an extensive arbitration concerning a large scale plantation investment gone awry, where the claim against the client exceeded US$120 million.
- Starhub Cable Vision: Acting in relation to the S$34 million claim by SingTel for breach of a Network Lease Agreement. The case between Singapore's two largest telcos concerns use of telecom infrastructure for transmission of CableTV services, and included cross examination of the most senior executives of both parties.
- A Canadian conglomerate: Acting in an international arbitration claim against China Central Television (CCTV), in a matter concerning television advertisement and licensing rights in the international markets where the claim exceeded US$100 million.
- A top Japanese bank: Acting as a liquidator in a major contested priority claim involving multi- jurisdictional issues JPY18 million claim against three customers, and enforcing the sale of securities connected thereto.
- A top Japanese trading conglomerate: Acting in a claim against a rogue Indonesian trader, securing Anton Piller and Mareva injunctions until trial, and assisting clients in prosecuting the claim in Jakarta, culminating in judgment and execution in Singapore.
- A European listed software company: Acting in a long running battle with a Singapore investor over the failed investment in a Singapore software company, culminating with several High Court suits, petitions and summonses in the Supreme Court, including two appeals to the Court of Appeal in Singapore and an appeal to the Belgian Court of Appeal.
- Intel: Acting as lead counsel on the Singapore front in multi jurisdictional claims against a Taiwanese semi-conductor manufacturer for infringement of patents owned by the client.
- Asialaw Profiles: Dispute Resolution, 2011, 2014 - 2016
- Asialaw Profiles: Intellectual Property, 2012
- Asialaw Leading Lawyer,: Dispute Resolution, 2014
- Asialaw Leading Lawyer: Intellectual Property , 2011 – 2014
- Asialaw Leading Lawyer: IT, Media & Telecommunications, 2008, 2010 - 2014
- Asialaw: Recognized for advising Asahi Glass in a patent infringement action brought by Hoya. This landmark case was the first such case to involve a selection patent. It was also the first case involving two Japanese companies litigating in Singapore, 2012.
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific: Recommended for Technology, Media & Telecommunications, 2015
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific: Recommended under Intellectual Property for representing Ku Dé Ta Singapore in a high-profile trade mark dispute, 2014.
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2012): Recommended under Dispute Resolution for his work for Sands Spa against Marina Bay Sands in a multimillion-dollar High Court claim, and under Intellectual Property for representing Virtual Map at the Court of Appeal.
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific: Intellectual Property, 2009/2010
- Co-author, "Singapore Court Upholds Registration Of "Ku De Ta" Trade Marks ", Rodyk Reporter - Litigation Brief, March 2014
- Co-author, "Serving Court Documents Through Facebook And Twitter: The Singapore Position?", Rodyk Reporter - Litigation Brief, December 2009
- Author, "Singapore High Court Allows Counterclaim To Revoke Patent", Rodyk Reporter - IP Edge, December 2009
- Co-author, "Guide To Office Raids", Rodyk Guides, April 2006
- Co-author, "Competition Law Guide - Q&A;", Rodyk Guides, 1st issue January 2006
- Co-author, "Competition Law Guide - Q&A;On The Competition Act 2004", Rodyk Guides, December 2005
Activities and Affiliations
- Chairman, Solicitors' Accounts Rules Committee, The Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Inquiry Panel, The Law Society of Singapore
- Latest Developments in Singapore Arbitration, April 10, 2013
- Arbitration & International Dispute Resolution (In House Congress, Jakarta), May 26, 2009
- Negotiating, Drafting & Managing IT Contracts - Dispute Resolution & Exit Strategies, November 10, 2006
- Rights, Options And Procedure In Recovering Rent - What You Need To Know, November 2, 2006
- Contract Negotiation And Dispute Resolution Strategies In Asia To Protect Your Company, November 1, 2006
Prior and Present Employment
- Senior Partner, Dentons Rodyk (formerly Rodyk & Davidson LLP) (1987 - present)