Christopher Chong is a senior partner in the Dentons Rodyk Litigation and Dispute Resolution and Arbitration practices.
Christopher's main areas of practice are in professional malpractice, commercial litigation and insurance. He has defended hospitals and medical practitioners in medical negligence suits in both the High Court and the Subordinate Courts and has represented professionals in disciplinary proceedings. He has acted for various commercial entities in joint venture disputes and contractual disputes. He has provided advice on the drafting of employment agreements, as well as advised and represented parties in disputes relating to allegations of wrongful termination of employment, the enforceability of restrictive covenants in employment agreements and claims arising from industrial accidents.
The Firm represents most of the major insurance companies in Singapore and Christopher supervises the personal injury insurance work within the Firm. He is experienced in all forms of dispute resolution, whether through litigation in the Singapore courts, mediation or arbitration under the Rules of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre or the International Chamber of Commerce.
Christopher has been appointed a member of one of the ethics committees that review and approve proposed clinical trials conducted in Singapore and has chaired the Law Society's Ad Hoc Committee on reviewing the consultation papers issued by the Bioethics Advisory Committee in 2005 and 2006. He is a Fellow of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators.
- Dr Chia Kok Hoong, Singapore-based Vascular Surgeon: Acting in relation to a claim for S$2 million brought in the Singapore High Court by a patient claiming to have suffered nerve injuries after undergoing laser treatment. The suit was dismissed with the costs to be borne by the patient.
- Dr Jim Wong, Singapore-based Doctor: Acting in the Singapore High Court and in the Singapore Court of Appeal in defending a claim for loss of inheritance by the family of a deceased real estate businessman arising from a liposuction procedure which resulted in his death. Liability was admitted but the amount claimed was substantially reduced by the Court of Appeal.
- Hospital: Acting in an urgent application to secure the High Court's order to treat an unconscious patient. This landmark decision was the first to rule on the issue of a comatose patient's consent to lifesaving medical treatment.
- Confidential client: Acting for parties in commercial disputes in both the High Court and the Court of Appeal of Singapore as well as in international arbitration at the Singapore International Arbitration Centre.
- Hospitals and medical practitioners: Acting in medical negligence suits in both the Subordinate Courts and in the High Court as well as for insurers in substantial personal injury claims.
- Medical practitioners: Acting in disciplinary proceedings before the Singapore Medical Council.
- Author, "Rodyk Secures Landmark Decision In Medical Consent Case," Rodyk Reporter - Litigation Brief, June 2006
Activities and Affiliations
- Chairman, Ad Hoc Committee on Bioethics, The Law Society of Singapore (for the review of the consultation papers issued by the Bioethics Advisory Committee), 2005 – 2006
- Member, Workgroup on Preventing Medical Errors and Improving Patient Information, Singapore Medical Association
- Member, Ethics Committee (approving proposed clinical trials conducted in Singapore)
- Independent Director, Pacific Healthcare Holdings Ltd (listed on SGX)
- How To Deal With Lawyers - Yours and Theirs?, September 18, 2014
- Specific Situations: Medical Experts In Criminal Courts, Coroner's Inquiries, Tribunals and Other Situations, June 28, 2014
- Missing The Diagnosis: The End Of The World?, September 28, 2013
- Principles Of Medical Negligence (Part 1 & 2), April 1, 2011
- Arbitration In Singapore, August 3, 2010
- Documentation - Legal Implications, September 16, 2009
- Minimizing Legal Liabilities In Global Healthcare Travel, July 1, 2009
- Hospital Inquiries, Records & Data-Legal Considerations, February 23, 2009
- Legal Aspects Of Claim And Complaint Management, February 18, 2009
- Legal Aspects Of Claim And Complaint Management, February 13, 2009
- Overview Of Singapore Health Law, Duty Of Care, Medical Negligence & Medical Registration Act & SMC Disciplinary Process, October 9, 2008
- The Medicolegal Implications Of Complications (Informed & Uninformed) In Urogynaecological Surgery, February 19, 2008
- Litigation Talk: Overview Of Civil Litigation Procedure, December 1, 2006
Prior and Present Employment
- Senior Partner, Dentons Rodyk (formerly Rodyk & Davidson LLP), 2002 – present
- HelenYeo & Partners, 1994 – 2002