Dorothy Chia is a Consultant in the Dentons Rodyk Real Estate group.
Dorothy represents major real estate developers and investors in the negotiation and documentation of transactions in the areas of sale (including sale-leaseback transactions), acquisition, leasing, development, construction, and operation of real property in Singapore. She has acted in numerous large-scale land development projects involving high-rise office buildings, mixed developments of shopping centers and offices, hotels, industrial buildings and residential and commercial developments.
She represents Singaporean and overseas investors on purchases and leases of commercial sites from various Singapore statutory bodies, including JTC Corporation, Housing & Development Board and other statutory bodies.
Dorothy has represented domestic institutional lenders (banks and finance companies) in the acquisition and disposition of real estate.
Dorothy is recognized as a leading real estate lawyer in publications including AP Legal 500 and the International Who's Who of Business Lawyers.
- Far East Organization's Dollar Land Singapore: Acting in its successful S$164 million bid for the 99-year leasehold residential site located at the junction of Choa Chu Kang Road and Woodlands Road. The site tender drew eight bids and the successful bid price works out to S$437 psf ppr. The site is a government land tender which is co-located with the Ten Mile Junction LRT station and the suburban plot will include commercial and residential uses.
- Far East Organization: Acting in the developer's project The Greenwood, a 54-unit strata landed housing development. The project is sited on freehold land but Far East is selling the units with a 103-year lease instead of a freehold tenure, thereby retaining a reversionary interest in the site. However, The Greenwood project is the first instance of an owner/developer being able to retain its freehold interest, while transferring a leasehold interest in the units directly to the purchasers. Also advising Far East on this novel structure, which was also used in Far East's two other subsequent housing projects on freehold land, Shore Residences and Cabana.
- In-space Pte Ltd: Acting in its S$70 million sale of a 99-year leasehold eight-storey small office, home office (SoHo) development at Beach Road to Fine Grain Property Consortium (Singapore) Pte Ltd and Hirsch Bedner Associates.
- Commerz Grundbesitz Invesmentgesellschaft (CGI): Assisting the German fund now known as CommerzReal, in a complex real estate and construction deal that involved the acquisition of 78 Shenton Way for approximately S$650 million.
- Macquarie Global Property Advisors (MGPA): Assisted this private equity real estate fund management firm in its S$2.02 billion bid for a prime plot of land in Marina View.
- Eunos Link Technology Park Ltd: Acting in its tender for HDB land parcel S6 for $202.88 million.
- Ho Bee Development: Assisting in the purchase of 30 units in Samsung Hub at S$134.3 million.
- Marina Bay Residences Pte Ltd: Acting for the developer in the 55-storey, 428-unit residential development, Marina Bay Residences. The development is a joint venture between Singapore listed Keppel Land and Hong Kong developers Cheung Keong (Holdings) and HongKong Land Holdings. It is part of the first phase of the S$2 billion investment in the largest development in the downtown Marina Bay Financial District.
- Lippo Group: Acting in the successful launch of the high-end real estate project The Trillium at an average price of S$1,700 per sq. ft., which set a new record in the Kim Seng area.
- Confidential client: Acting in the sale of units at one-north residences, a 405-unit residential cum 20-unit commercial development in one-north, Singapore.
- Overseas Union Enterprise: Acting in its collective acquisition of The Parisian for S$228.1 million.
- Lippo Land Corporation: Acting in their S$329 million acquisition of land at Kim Seng Road from OCBC Property for condominium development.
- MCL Land Realty Pte Ltd: Acting in the acquisition of land at Hillcrest Road, valued at S$102.5 million. The project involved land zoning changes, use permitted under the State Lease and an upgrade of the lease tenure.
- International Who's Who: Recognized in the area of Real Estate, 2009, 2012-2015
- Best Lawyers: Recognized in the area of Real Estate in Singapore, 2014-2015
- Asia Pacific Legal 500: Recognized as a Leading Individual for Real Estate and Construction, 2007-2015
- Asialaw: Recognized as a Leading Lawyer for Real Estate, 2010-2013
- Expert Guides: Recognized as a leading real estate lawyer, 2008
Honors and Awards
- Real Estate Law Experts 2014
Activities and Affiliations
Prior and Present Employment
- Consultant, Dentons Rodyk (formerly Rodyk & Davidson LLP), 2002 - present
- HelenYeo & Partners, 1992 - 2002
- Chor Pee & Company, 1981 - 1992
- Cooma Lau & Loh, 1980 - 1981
- Tan Kim Seng & Partners, 1979 - 1980