Edric Pan is a senior partner in our Litigation, Dispute Resolution and Arbitration practice groups.
In over 17 years of litigation practice, Edric has been involved in many high profile matters and has successfully represented clients up to the Court of Appeal, Singapore’s highest court.
His experience spans a wide range of civil and commercial matters, including international commercial disputes, shareholder disputes, breaches of directors' and fiduciary duties, multi-million dollar insurance claims, employment-related disputes, non-compete disputes, misuse of confidential information, professional negligence and professional disciplinary proceedings.
Edric's portfolio also involves a significant amount of non contentious work. He regularly advises on remuneration and termination issues for institutional clients. He is also experienced in drafting policy documents and other related insurance material.
Edric has delivered numerous seminars on contract, employment, insurance and aviation issues. He is the co-author of the Employment Law volume of Halsbury's Laws of Singapore, and is also a contributor to the Singapore Precedents of Pleadings.
Edric is currently the Vice-Chair of the Professional Indemnity Committee of the Law Society of Singapore, and is also a member of the Pleadings Selection Committee of the Supreme Court of Singapore.
- A multinational heating, ventilation and air-conditioning (HVAC) manufacturer: Acting in arbitration proceedings in Shanghai under the CIETAC Rules against a Chinese state-owned entity, for breach of contract in respect of a major order of HVAC equipment for offshore rigs. Matter was settled very favourably at the commencement of the arbitration hearing.
- Energy Market Company (EMC): Acting for the operator of Singapore’s wholesale electricity market, in respect of a claim brought by EMC’s former general counsel for alleged misrepresentation and breaches of her employment contract. The matter was contested up to the Court of Appeal, where a decisive ruling in EMC’s favour was obtained.
- Singapore Tourism Board (STB): Acting against a well-known UK-based concert organiser in respect of the failure by the latter to organise what was to have been Singapore's largest-ever entertainment and musical event. Among other things the STB sought damages for breach of contract and an account of several million dollars in funds which had been paid to the concert organiser towards the event but which had been misused. Issues involved included breach of contract, trust, misrepresentation and lifting of the corporate veil. After a full trial in the High Court, judgment was returned in favour of the STB, and this was upheld by the Court of Appeal.
- Several international fund management companies: Acting in a lawsuit against an Indonesian company and its shareholders, seeking payment of the sum of about US$30 million. Issues involved include forum non conveniens, force majeure, collateral undertakings and validity of service of process.
- A Singapore telco and cable television company: Acting in an action brought by a rival telco arising from the alleged "tapping" of signals from leased optical fibre cables. Issues arising in this matter included determining the basis of assessment of damages where the losses suffered were punitive in nature and hence not directly quantifiable.
- A subsidiary of an Indonesian group of companies: Acting in a massive cross-border claim for over US$200 million by several US-based funds, arising from one of the largest bond defaults in history. This matter involved complex issues of conflict of law, res judicata and fraud.
- A major IT solutions provider: Acting in a claim against a local university for breach of contract, arising from the failure of a multi million dollar project to create and implement a campus-wide IT and data management system.
- Several members of a family: Acting in a claim against other family members arising from the mismanagement and misappropriation of assets (including numerous properties situated in Singapore and abroad) belonging to the family trust.
- Members of a prominent Indonesian family: Acting in an action by their former joint venture partners (one of the world's largest life insurance companies) in respect of economic torts allegedly committed by the Indonesian family in Indonesia.
- A stock trader (Dealer's Rep): Acting as defender for client, who was charged by the Commercial Affairs Department with market manipulation under the Securities Industry Act. He was also faced with disciplinary proceedings by the SGX for related breaches of the SGX Rules.
- A professional racing driver: Acting for in a claim against his sponsors for breach of their sponsorship contract.
- Law Society: Acting for the Law Society on several occasions in Disciplinary Committee proceedings against solicitors, in respect of breaches of professional duty under the Legal Profession Act.
- "Asked to sum up the service provided by Rodyk & Davidson's dispute resolution team, one client says: 'Good rates, good advice, commercially sound, very helpful'... Edric Pan has also been particularly active in the sector." – Asialaw, 2012
- Co-author, Halsbury's Laws of Singapore - Employment, chapter 10 vol. 9 2011 ed. reissue
- Contributor, “Bullen & Leake & Jacob’s Singapore Precedents of Pleadings” (Sweet & Maxwell, 2016)
- Co-author, "Court Of Appeal Upholds Rare Decision To Pierce Corporate Veil", Rodyk Reporter - Litigation Brief, March 2009
- Co-author, "The Singapore Court Of Appeal Reviews Three Rivers No. 5", Rodyk Reporter - Litigation Brief, June 2007
- Co-author, "Rodyk Secures Significant Court Of Appeal Ruling In Minority Oppression Case", Rodyk Reporter - Litigation Brief, December 2006
Activities and Affiliations
- Common Issues under Singapore Employment Law, including Non-Compete issues, March 11, 2016
- Seminar on Issues Affecting the MRO Aviation Industry - Providing Services Outside Singapore, March 26, 2012
- Seminar on Issues Affecting the MRO Aviation Industry - Choice of Law and Dispute Resolution Forums, March 19, 2012
- Developments in Air Law - Claims Against Airlines, July 15, 2011
- Essentials Of Contracts, July 31, 2008
- General And Practical Overview On Contracts, November 15, 2005
- Vice-Chair, Professional Indemnity Committee of the Law Society of Singapore.
- Member, Professional Indemnity Committee of the Law Society of Singapore.
Prior and Present Employment
- Senior Partner - Dentons Rodyk (formerly Rodyk & Davidson LLP) (2005 - present)
- Ang & Partners (2004 - 2005)
- Rajah & Tann (1998 - 2004)