Eng Leng is a senior partner in our Corporate practice. He leads and specialises in mergers and acquisitions and corporate work, and runs an active practice in domestic, regional and cross-border private and public mergers and acquisitions, privatisations, takeovers, corporate commercial, corporate finance, corporate restructurings, securities law, private equity and general corporate law work. His breadth and depth of experience and expertise extends across several industries and sectors including financial institutions, healthcare and technology.
Eng Leng's work in public and private mergers and acquisitions and corporate and commercial transactions include acting for both the sell-side and the buy-side (bilateral as well as by way of auction). He advises on and is also active in solvent and insolvent corporate restructurings, schemes of arrangement, investments, joint ventures, shareholder arrangements, and listed companies work. Clients include domestic and international corporates (listed and unlisted), private equity firms and family offices.
He is also frequently consulted for his expertise in corporate and commercial strategies relating to such transactions.
- SHS Holdings Ltd: Advising in the sale of its entire interests in the TAT Group and Axxmo International Pte Ltd, which collectively operate a distribution business for refined petroleum products, to Brenntag (Holding) BV, a subsidiary of German chemical distribution company Brenntag AG, for approximately S$100 million.
- Blackstone Singapore Pte Ltd: Advising Amber Investment Holding (Cayman) Limited, a Blackstone entity, in its acquisition from Arch Capital Asian Partners, LP (acting through its general partner, Arch Capital Asian Partners, GP), of the entire issued and paid-up share capital of Highest Reach Investments Limited, which holds 34 strata units comprised in the residential development located at 21 Anderson Road, a high-end residence located near the Orchard Road shopping belt valued at approximately S$164 million, through its indirect wholly-owned subsidiaries, Anderson International Properties Pte Ltd and Raffles Legend Properties Pte Ltd.
- Grand Apex Holdings Pte Ltd ("Grand Apex"): Acting in structuring, conducting and completing its voluntary conditional cash offer (the "Offer") for SGX-ST-listed Popular Holdings Limited ("Popular Holdings"), in a privatisation exercise. Popular Holdings is in the business of investment holding for property development, retail and distribution and publishing and e-Learning assets. Grand Apex is controlled by a controlling shareholder of Popular Holdings. The Offer valued Popular Holdings at approximately S$255 million.
- Daiwa Securities Group Inc.: Acting as Singapore counsel to certain group entities of Daiwa, in their roles as issue manager and underwriter in the initial public offering of Accordia Golf Trust ("AGT") on the Mainboard of the SGX-ST, as well as the trustee-manager and asset manager of AGT, in respect of Singapore law regulatory and compliance issues. AGT is in the business of investing in stabilised, income-generating golf courses, driving ranges and golf course related assets worldwide, with an initial focus on Japan.
- AHC Pte Ltd ("AHC"): Acting in structuring, conducting and completing its voluntary conditional cash offer ("Offer") for SGX-ST-listed Hersing Corporation Ltd ("Hersing"), and in structuring a transferable term loan facility granted to AHC to finance the Offer, in a privatisation exercise. At the time of the privatisation exercise, Hersing was a leading brand manager and service provider with subsidiaries in the real estate services, financial services, self-storage and design and furnishing services segments. AHC is controlled by a controlling shareholder of Hersing. The Offer valued Hersing at approximately S$145 million.
- SGX-ST-listed Transview Holdings Limited ("Transview"): Acting in its disposal of its golf business ("Golf Business") to Leonian Singapore Pte Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Tokyo Stock Exchange-listed Xebio Co Ltd, by way of: (i) Transview selling the entire issued and paid up share capital of Transview Lifestyle Pte Ltd and Nippon Golf Pte Ltd, two of its wholly-owned subsidiaries; and (ii) Transview Golf Pte Ltd, one of its wholly-owned subsidiaries, selling the entire issued and paid up share capital of Transview Golf Sdn Bhd and all of the properties, assets, and rights arising or relating to the Golf Business.
- SGX-ST-listed Stratech Systems Limited ("Stratech Systems"): Acting and advising in the restructuring of its group of companies by way of a scheme of arrangement under section 210 of the Companies Act (Chapter 50), to facilitate a migration of Stratech Systems' shareholders' shareholding interests in its capital, to shareholding interests in the capital of a newly-incorporated and SGX-ST-listed investment holding company, The Stratech Group Limited ("The Stratech Group"), thus creating a group that holds its operations and businesses separately. The Stratech Group is principally engaged in the design, development, integration, implementation, maintenance and project management of information technology and advanced technology systems.
- A wholly-owned subsidiary of Yuanta Securities Co Ltd (a member of the Taiwan Stock Exchange-listed Yuanta Group), Yuanta Securities (Hong Kong) Company Limited: Acting and advising in its acquisition of 99% of the issued and paid-up share capital of PT AmCapital Indonesia, a stockbroking company in Indonesia, for approximately TWD211million (approximately S$9 million).
- Catalist-listed Moya Holdings Asia Limited ("Moya Holdings Asia"): Acting in negotiating and completing its issuance and allotment of new ordinary shares in the capital of Moya Holdings Asia to Tamaris Infrastructure Pte. Ltd. in two (2) tranches, representing approximately 29% of the enlarged share capital of Moya Holdings Asia. Moya Holdings Asia is in the business of investing in and developing total water solutions. The aggregate subscription consideration for the transaction is approximately S$30 million.
- Marmon Water (Singapore) Pte Ltd: Acting as its Singapore counsel in connection with its acquisition of a 50% equity interest in Hyflux Marmon Development Pte Ltd and a 49% equity interest in Marmon Hyflux Investments Pte Ltd from the Hyflux Group, for an aggregate cash consideration of S$63.6 million.
- PSG Asia Pte Ltd ("PSG") and its shareholders: Advising on the disposal of the project and construction management related business of PSG and its subsidiaries in Singapore and the region (the "PSG Sale Business") to Cushman & Wakefield Singapore Holdings Pte Ltd. Advised on, negotiated and prepared the master purchase agreement and other transaction documents, attended to and coordinated completion, and coordinated with foreign counsel in the disposal of the PSG Sale Business in Beijing.
- SGX-ST-listed Singapore Post Limited ("SingPost"): Acting and advising in its postassurance collaboration with AXA Life Insurance Singapore Private Limited ("AXA"). The postassurance collaboration involves SingPost performing the role of an introducer for AXA for the purposes of facilitating the marketing, promotion, sale and distribution of life insurance products in Singapore.
- UMW Oil & Gas Corporation Berhad ("UMW O&G"): Acting as Singapore counsel in connection with its listing on Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad. The issue price of RM2.80 per share valued UMW O&G at approximately RM6.1 billion (or approximately S$2.4 billion). This was Malaysia's largest initial public offering for 2013.
- SGX-ST-listed Kim Eng Holdings Limited ("Kim Eng"): Acting and advising in the conditional sale by certain controlling shareholders of Kim Eng to Aseam Credit Sdn Bhd (the "Offeror"), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Malayan Banking Berhad, of 44.63% of the issued shares in the capital of Kim Eng, the holding company of a regional stockbroking and financial services group, in his previous firm. Also acted for Kim Eng as offeree, in the consequential mandatory cash offer by the Offeror for all the remaining ordinary shares in the capital of Kim Eng as a result of this transaction, as well as in its subsequent delisting. This transaction involving the takeover of a regulated entity, the obtaining of regulatory approvals and multi-jurisdictional regulated (and some listed) subsidiaries, valued Kim Eng at approximately S$1.79 billion.
- Advanced Technology Investment Company LLC: Acting and advising in, and structured its acquisition of 100% of and privatisation of SGX-ST-listed Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing Ltd, which is in the semiconductor business, by way of a scheme of arrangement, in his previous firm. The transaction involved multi-jurisdiction co-ordination on legal issues, and represented a total value of approximately S$5.6 billion.
- IFLR1000: Leading Lawyer for Financial and Corporate Law, 2017
- In-House Community 2016: Commended External Counsel of the Year
- Best Lawyers: Recognized for Corporate Law and Mergers and Acquisitions in Singapore, 2014-2016
- Chambers Global: Recognized as Leading Individual for Corporate/M&A, 2012-2015
- Chambers Asia: Recognized as Leading Individual for Corporate/M&A, 2012-2015
- IFLR1000: Leading Lawyer for Mergers and Acquisitions and Restructuring, 2015
- "Leading corporate partner Ng Eng Leng acted for the shareholders of Ramba Energy in the voluntary conditional cash partial offer by Sugih Energy to acquire 51% of the issued ordinary shares in the capital of Ramba Energy, listed on the Mainboard of the Singapore stock exchange." – Asialaw, 2015
- "Leading corporate partner Ng Eng Leng has been acting for Parkway HK holdings in a significant joint venture with NWS Holdings in Hong Kong ..." – Asialaw 2014
- Asialaw: Recognized as a Leading Lawyer for Corporate/M&A in Singapore, 2014
- "Ng [Eng Leng] is acting for Parkway HK Holdings, a subsidiary of Malaysia-based IHH Healthcare, in its joint venture with a subsidiary of Hong Kong-listed NWS Holdings, for the development, construction, management and operation of a hospital in Hong Kong with a total estimated project cost of HK$5 billion ($644 million)." – IFLR1000, 2014
- ILO Client Choice Awards 2014 for M&A in Singapore
- ALB Client Choice Hot 75 - 2013
- "Ng Eng Leng [is] recommended." – Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2013
- "Always provides sharp and sound legal advice and is willing to go the extra mile to see to the timely closing of deals. He is well regarded for his commercial savvy and keen ability to quickly zero in the issues that matter." – Asian Legal Business, 2013
- Who's Who Legal: Recognized for Mergers and Acquisitions, Singapore, 2008
Activities and Affiliations
- Independent Director (Board and Audit Committee Member), A-iTrust
- Legal Due Diligence - Key Considerations, May 12, 2015
- Shareholder Activism & Engagement, October 28, 2014
- Moderator, Japan Track at the Global Entrepolis Singapore Business Leaders Summit 2013, October 29, 2013
- Current Trends In M&A In Asia - Delistings And Relistings, February 1, 2012
- Building Wealth & Growing Consumerism - South East Asian M&A spotlight, April 7, 2011
- Deloitte's M&A Lunch n Learn Series - Session III - Takeover of Listed Companies, September 24, 2010
- In-House Congress Kuala Lumpur 2010, June 24, 2010
- Seminar on Writing for Clients - Writing Corporate Opinions, August 3, 2009
- Structuring Public Takeovers in Singapore, June 27, 2009
- Maximising M&A in Asia (Roundtable Discussion) - A Study of Asian Company Sentiment, July 23, 2008
- CPA Australia Mergers & Acquisitions Seminar, November 16, 2007
- Member, The Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
Prior and Present Employment
- Senior Partner, Dentons Rodyk (formerly Rodyk & Davidson LLP) (2011 - present)
- WongPartnership LLP (2002 - 2011)
- Chang See Hiang & Partners (1997 - 2002)
- Khattar Wong & Partners (1995 - 1997)
- Chor Pee & Company (1990 - 1995)