Gerald Singham is the deputy managing partner for Dentons Rodyk. In addition, he is also a senior partner in our Corporate practice, and he leads the firm’s Competition practice. He has extensive experience advising domestic and multi-national clients from a broad range of industries on competition law matters. He deals with all aspects of competition law including merger clearance/notifications, cartel investigations, dawn raids, leniency applications and reviewing and advising on competition restrictive practices and sectoral competition laws. Gerald also regularly conducts competition law compliance seminars and competition law audits. Gerald is a member of the Competition Commission of Singapore’s (“CCS”) roundtable on competition law.
Gerald’s other areas include a broad range of corporate transactions including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, private equity, foreign direct investments and cross-border transactions.
- Panasonic Corporation: Acting in connection with the sale and purchase agreement for the sale of three subsidiaries of Panasonic to UTAC Manufacturing Services Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of UTAC Holdings Ltd, a leading semiconductor testing and assembly services provider headquartered in Singapore. The three Panasonic subsidiaries being divested operate semiconductor testing and assembly facilities, strategically located in Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia. The total transaction value for the acquisition by UTAC will be USD 116.5 million, payable over five years, inclusive of certain transitional services agreements with Panasonic.
- Minebea Co., Ltd and NMB Singapore Limited (a Singapore subsidiary of Minebea Co., Ltd): Acting in an investigation conducted by the CCS on alleged collusive conduct in the small-sized ball bearings and pivots industry (the “Collusive Conduct”).This cartel investigation was concurrently investigated in other jurisdictions, including the US and Korea, and went on for at least three years. A favourable result was secured in the form of a notice from the CCS of the cessation of its investigations into the Collusive Conduct without any finding of liability or issuance of fines, based on the evidence and information currently available.
- Citynet Infrastructure Management Pte Ltd (as Trustee-Manager of the Netlink Trust): Acting in the clearance with the Infocomm Development Authority (IDA) pursuant to the Telecommunications Act (Cap. 323) and the Code of Practice for Competition in the Provision of Telecommunication Services 2012 for the consolidation of an enlarged infrastructure business trust between CitySpring Infrastructure Trust (through its Trustee-Manager, Citynet Infrastructure Management Pte Ltd) and Keppel Infrastructure Trust (through its Trustee-Manager, Keppel Infrastructure Fund Management Pte Ltd). The enlarged trust will be the largest Singapore infrastructure-focused business trust with total assets of over S$4 billion.
- Multi-national freight forwarder companies: Acting in relation to a multi-jurisdictional cartel investigation by the CCS.
- Confidential client: Acting in a cartel investigation for one of the largest freight companies in the world with operations in Japan and Singapore.
- Various parties: Acting for various local and multinational companies for leniency applications at Competition Commission of Singapore involving different industries.
- Confidential Client: Acting in the chicken cartel investigations involving price fixing and a non aggression pack involving the sale of fresh chicken
- Heineken International B.V.: Acting in its notification application to the Competition Commission of Singapore. The notification application was in relation to the acquisition of up to the entire issued and outstanding ordinary share capital of Asia Pacific Breweries Limited and Asia Pacific Investment Pte Ltd. The total consideration of this deal is approximately S$8.1 billion.
- Japan Airlines International Co Ltd and American Airlines Inc (the "Joint Applicants"): Acting in their Notification Application for Decision to the CCS under s.44 of the Competition Act (Cap. 50B) with respect to their Joint Business Agreement and Alliance Agreement (the "Agreements"). These Agreements were cleared by CCS on 7 April 2011. The CCS' clearance decision allows the Joint Applicants, as members of the oneworld alliance, to implement the Agreements in relation to Singapore, boosting their level of cooperation on the operation of transpacific routes between Singapore and United States via Japan. The Agreements enable the two carriers to work together to optimise and expand their product offerings and quality of service to air passengers, providing enhanced and more effective competition against other global airline alliances. After nearly four months of deliberations and intense scrutiny of submissions and arguments submitted on behalf of the Joint Applicants, the CCS issued their official clearance of the Agreements on 7 April 2011, concluding that the Agreements result in net economic benefits to competition in Singapore and are thus excluded from the s.34 prohibition of the Competition Act.
- AIG: Acting as Singapore counsel and advising on Singapore regulatory and competition issues relating to the proposed sale of its Asian life insurance arm to Britain's Prudential for S$50 billion.
- Archer Daniels Midland Co. (“ADM”): Advising in ADM’s divestment of its global cocoa business to Olam International Limited ("Olam"). The multi-jurisdictional sale encompassed ADM's entire global cocoa business, including processing facilities in Mississauga, Canada; Koog aan de Zaan and Wormer, Netherlands; Mannheim, Germany; Ilhéus, Brazil; Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire; Kumasi, Ghana; and Singapore. The transaction also included the sale of ADM's buying stations in Brazil, Cameroon, Côte d'Ivoire, and Indonesia, the ADM's brands, deZaan and UNICAO and the transfer of the majority of the approximately 1,550 employees in ADM's cocoa business, to Olam for US$1.2 billion.
- Archer Daniels Midland Co. (“ADM”): Acting as Singapore counsel for Archer Daniels Midland Co., in the sale of its global chocolate business to Cargill Inc. ("Cargill"). The multi-jurisdictional sale involving the transfer of ADM's North American, European, Brazilian and Asian plants, ADM's brands such as Ambrosia, Merckens and Schokinag and the transfer of approximately 670 employees from ADM to Cargill, was valued at US$ 400 million (subject to post-completion adjustments).
- Malayan Banking Berhad bank: Acting in its US$1.5 billion acquisition to secure a controlling stake in PT Bank Internasional Indonesia Tbk (BII).
- Singapore corporate: Appointing counsel to Norway's Renewable Energy Corporation (REC), which is committed to building the world's largest solar manufacturing plant in Singapore at an anticipated investment of S$6.3 billion.
- Eureka GmbH, a subsidiary of the Munich Re Group: Acting in the divestment of its entire stake in Eureka Office Fund Pte Ltd to CapitaLand (Office) Investments Pte Ltd, comprising 50% of the ordinary shares and 50% of the voting preference shares in the issued share capital of EOF not already owned by CapitaLand. The transaction had a cash consideration of about S$590.6 million.
- Tiger Global Four Holdings, a hedge fund: Acting in US$60 million equity-cum-debt investment in Athena Projects, a holding company of hydroelectric and thermal power plants in India.
- Parco Co Ltd and The Seiyu Ltd: Acting in the S$139 million divestment by its Singapore subsidiaries of all the share capital of its retail subsidiary to a wholly owned subsidiary of CapitaLand Limited.
- IFLR1000: Leading Lawyer for Financial and Corporate Law, 2017
- IFLR1000: Leading Lawyer for Corporate/M&A, 2016
- Chambers Asia: Leading Individual for Competition/Antitrust, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016
- Asia Pacific Legal 500: Corporate and M&A, 2015
- Asialaw Profiles: Noted for his work in the area of competition law, 2014, 2015
- Who's Who Legal, 2014: Named as the International Who's Who of Competition Lawyers in Singapore, 2014
- Asialaw: Recognised as a Leading Lawyer 2014 for Competition & Antitrust in Singapore
- Asialaw: Recognised as a Leading Lawyer 2014 for Corporate/M&A in SingaporeCorporate/M&A, 2009, 2014
- Chambers Global: Recognised as a Leading Individual for Corporate/M&A, 2010, 2012, 2013
- Asialaw: Recognised by as a Leading Lawyer for General Corporate Practice, 2006-2013
- Who's Who Legal: Named as the International Who's Who of Competition Lawyers & Economists, 2013
- Practical Law Company: Recognised as a Recommended Lawyer In Singapore for Corporate/M&A, 2011, 2012
- "...Gerald Singham [is] 'responsive, enterprising and proactive'." – Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2010/2011
Honors and Awards
- Public Service Star (Bintang Bakti Masyarakat), National Day Awards, 2009
- Presented with the "Minister for Law Appreciation Award" in acknowledgment of his more than 10 years of service to the Ministry in service to the public, 2008
- Public Service Medal (Pingat Bakti Masyarakat), by the President of Singapore, 2006
- Co-author, "CCS blocks healthcare merger in a bid to maintain healthy competition", Competition Law Alert, January 2015,
- Co-author, "Roadmap To An ASEAN Competition Law And Policy ", Rodyk Reporter - Regional Reports, January 2015
- Co-author, Singapore Chapter, International Business Acquisitions, edited by Michael Whalley and Ralf Kurney
- Author, "Regional Alert", Competition Law Alert, January 2015
- Co-author, "Competition Commission of Singapore Imposes Fines Following Investigation into Price Fixing by Freight Forwarding Companies", Competition Law Alert, December 2014
- Co-author, "Coffee, Cement and Competition Law", The Professional Builder, Silver Jubilee Edition
- Co-author, "CCS' Reward Scheme For Cartel Informants", Competition Law Alert, March 2014
- Co-author, "CCS Ceases Investigation Of Non-Compete Clause", Rodyk Reporter - Competition Law Alert, December 2013
- Co-author, "Rodyk Acts For Heineken In The Competition Commission Of Singapore Investigation Of A Soft Drinks Non-compete Agreement With Fraser & Neave", Competition Law Alert, November 2013
- Co-author, "Competition Laws In ASEAN - Overview Of The Main Prohibitions", Rodyk Reporter - Competition Law Alert, June 2013
- Author, "Competition Laws In ASEAN: A South-East Asian Perspective", Rodyk Reporter - Competition Law Alert, December 2012
- Author, "Rodyk Acts For Heineken International B.V In Its Merger Control Notification To The Competition Commission Of Singapore", Competition Law Alert, November 2012
- Co-author, "Wettbewerbsrecht in Singapur", SGC Bizguide 2012
- Co-author, "Information Exchange Between Ferry Operators Infringed The Section 34 Prohibition", Competition Law Alert, July 2012
- Author, "SISTIC Abuse Of Dominance Case: CAB Upholds CCS' Decision", Competition Law Alert, June 2012
- Co-author, "CCS More Facilitative In Latest Amendments To Its Guidelines On Merger Procedures", Competition Law Alert, June 2012
- Author, "Parent Company Liable For Anti-Competitive Conduct Of Its Wholly-Owned Subsidiary", Competition Law Alert, June 2012
- Author, "Global Merger Control Index 2012: Singapore Rankings", Competition Law Alert, April 2012
- Author, "South Africa's Competition Commission Fines Singapore Airlines 2.5 million Euros For Price Fixing", Competition Law Alert, April 2012
- Author, "Freight Forwarding Companies Fined 169 Million Euros By The European Commission For Price-Fixing", Competition Law Alert, April 2012
- Author, "Further Liberalisation Of Foreign Direct Investment In India;", Rodyk Reporter - Business Bulletin, December 2011
- Author, "India's New Merger Control Regime & Liberalised FDI Policy: Impact On Cross Border M&As", Rodyk Reporter - Business Bulletin, June 2011
- Author, Singapore Chapter, World Law Group Merger Control Basics 2010
- Co-author, "Competition Law And Your Business", Rodyk Reporter - Business Bulletin, September 2010
Activities and Affiliations
- Competition Law and Your Company, December 14, 2015
- USFTC/CSS Training on Procedural Fairness, December 1, 2015
- Competition Law and Your Company, November 19, 2015
- Competition Law Workshop (for Japanese counsels), January 8, 2015
- Competition Commission Of Singapore's (CCS) - Leniency Programme, November 20, 2014
- ASEAN Integration - Business Opportunities, October 16, 2014
- Multi-Jurisdictional Leniency Applications: Navigating The Fault Lines, August 21, 2014
- Update on Competition Law, July 15, 2014
- CCS Roundtable Discussion, June 27, 2014
- The First Decade of UK Gaming Regulation and Beyond: Key Lessons and Perspective, April 4, 2014
- Talk on Legal Issues: Business Entities - A General Overview, April 3, 2014
- Introducing Arbitration, Corruption and Competition' the Law in Singapore, November 27, 2013
- Overview of Competition Law, November 11, 2013
- Implications For The Construction Industry, July 3, 2013
- How The Competition Act Can Help Your Business: Leveraging On Competition Law In Your Growth Story, February 6, 2013
- Moderator of Panel Session 1 Anti-competitive Agreements: A discussion on Cartels, Price Recommendation and Joint Ventures, July 26, 2012
- Competition Law & Your Business: Strategies To Safeguard Your Company, November 14, 2011
- Competition Law & Your Business: Strategies To Safeguard Your Company, November 10, 2011
- Impact of Competition Law on Businesses, September 14, 2011
- Do's And Don'ts Of Competition Law, August 8, 2011
- Competition Law Strategies, July 27, 2011
- Competition Law & Abuse Of Dominant Position, March 16, 2011
- Board Member, Casino Regulatory Authority (appointed by the Minister for Home Affairs)
- Vice-Chairman, National Council on Problem Gambling (appointed by the Minister for Social and Family Development)
- Vice-Chairman, National Crime Prevention Council (appointed by the Minister for Home Affairs)
- Resource Panel Member, Government Parliamentary Committee for Defence and Foreign Affairs
- Vice Chairman, OnePeople.sg
- Vice Chairman, Teck Ghee Community Club Management Committee
- Member, Teck Ghee Citizens' Consultative Committee
- Member, Military Court of Appeal
- Member, Committee to Strengthen National Service (appointed by the Minister for Defence)
Prior and Present Employment
- Senior Partner - Dentons Rodyk (formerly Rodyk & Davidson LLP) (1989 - present)