Gilbert Leong is a senior partner in Dentons Rodyk's Intellectual Property & Technology practice group.
Gilbert has extensive experience in negotiating and drafting commercial agreements in relation to distribution of goods/services, procurement and tenders, manufacturing arrangements, acquisition of hardware, software development, licensing, maintenance, acquisition of intellectual property such as trademark and patents, computer turnkey projects, consultancy services, IP structuring, Internet related transactions and employee handbooks. Gilbert also provides advice on aspects of joint ventures, alliances and mergers & acquisitions.
He has also been counsel to parties involved in the telecommunication industry. In particular, he has advised on disputes arising as between telecommunication licensees, application for licences, market access and infrastructural issues. Gilbert has also been very active in the field of data privacy/protection matters, having written and spoken widely on the area. As a member of the Legal Sub-Committee of the National Internet Advisory Committee, Gilbert participated in the drafting to the "Model Data Protection Code for the Private Sector".
Gilbert's IP litigation experience includes copyright (software) suits, patent infringements as well as obtaining and executing search & seizure warrants. Additionally, he has prosecuted parties under a fiat from the Attorney General for offences under both the Trade Marks Act and Copyright Act. Gilbert also attends to hearings before the Trade Mark registry.
In addition to his legal qualifications, Gilbert also holds a Certificate in Computer Programming and Information Processing from the City & Guilds of London Institute. Gilbert has authored numerous articles and given speeches on a variety of intellectual property rights, technology issues and electronic commerce.
Gilbert was featured in Who's Who Legal: Singapore 2008 for his work in regulatory compliance, was listed in Asian Legal Business "Legal Who's Who Singapore 2003" for Information Technology, was recognised as the Asialaw Leading Lawyer for IT, Telecommunications & Media since 2008, and was recognised by Chambers Asia as the Leading Individual for Technology, Media, Telecoms (TMT) since 2011. He was a member of several technology-focused think tanks in Singapore.
- MOH Holdings: Counseling for the tender and award of the first phase of the National Electronic Health Records system.
- Confidential client: Acting in the preparation of documentation associated with a multi-year outsourcing of IT functions and negotiating with the vendor on behalf of a large chain of hospitals.
- Confidential client: Acting in the preparation and negotiation for various tenders for group of healthcare institutions in Singapore in relation to its cluster-wide (a) Hospital Information System, (b) Laboratory Information System, (c) Hardware Acquisition, (d) Electronic Medical Records System, and (e) HR Information System. In each of these transactions, intense negotiations with vendors were necessary.
- Confidential client: Assisting in the preparation of a tender for a payment system. Scope of work includes the advising on the preliminary responses provided by the prequalified vendors and reviewing of tender documents.
- Confidential client: Advising a Singapore mainboard listed company, on the development, implementation and maintenance of a company wide (spanning a number of countries) ERP and back-end system including the setting up of data centres, disaster recovery, software licensing, hardware procurement and telecommunication contracts. The company's IT infrastructure was outsourced to the vendor. Also advised and prepared agreements for the use of its interactive website for B2B transactions.
- Confidential client: Acting in the negotiation and preparation of joint venture documents with party in Shenyang, PRC to set up a joint venture company in the PRC.
- Confidential client: Advising on the acquisition, by shares, of a software company in India.
- Confidential client: Advising on the acquisition of distribution company (services) in Japan including aspects surrounding the transfer of personnel.
- Confidential clients: Acting for government agencies in advising them on various policy and regulatory issues ranging from rendering opinions on statutory provisions, commenting on draft statutory provisions and enforcement of statutory provisions.
- Confidential client: Acting for a computer reservation systems provider in the drafting and negotiations of its frequent flyer programme software development agreement, subscription agreements for online facilities and tele-housing agreements. Also acted for them in relation to the review and contract negotiation for a multi-million dollar joint development project for a computerised travel reservations system with an airline partner and a US vendor. Rodyk [now Dentons Rodyk] also negotiated on their behalf the purchase of bandwidth and telecommunications facilities for their worldwide communications backbone.
- Asia IP Experts: Recognised as a Leading Lawyer for IT & Telecoms in Singapore, 2016
- Chambers Asia: Leading Individual for Technology, Media, Telecoms, 2011 - 2016
- Asia Pacific Legal 500: Recognized as a leading lawyer in the areas of Technology, Media & Telecommunications and Intellectual Property, 2015
- Asia Pacific Legal 500: Leading Individual for Intellectual Property, 2012 - 2015
- Asialaw Profiles 2014: Recognized in the areas of IT, Telecommunications & Media
- International Who's Who, Information Technology, 2014
- Asialaw Leading Lawyer: Recognized in the areas of IT, Telecommunications & Media, 2008 - 2014
- Asia Pacific Legal 500: Recognized lawyer, 2012 - 2014
- Asialaw: Recognized lawyer in IP, IT, and Telecommunication areas, 2011 - 2012
- Asia Pacific Legal 500: Recognized lawyer with expertise in Biotechnology, Media and Telecommunications, 2009 - 2011
- Co-author, "Geographical Indications Bill Passed", Rodyk Reporter - IP Edge, June 2014
- Co-author, "Protecting Your Trade Mark In Myanmar", Rodyk Reporter - IP Edge, December 2013
- Author, "Draft Singapore Patents Rules For A Positive Grant Examination System", IP Edge, December 2013
- Co-author, "Singapore Parliament Passes Bill To Protect Personal Data", Rodyk Reporter - IP Edge, October 2012
- Co-author, "Internet Service Providers - Are They Liable For Your Traffic?", Rodyk Reporter - IP Edge, September 2009
- Author, "Of Pictures, Text And Reports", Rodyk Reporter - IP Edge, December 2008
- Author, "Case Law Updates & Legal Developments: December 2008", IP Edge, December 2008
- Author, "Unlocking Your Electronic Gadget - Releasing The Genie In More Ways Than One", Rodyk Reporter - IP Edge, March 2008
- Author, "Virtual Conflicts, Real Problems", Rodyk Reporter - IP Edge, December 2006
- Author, Singapore Chapter, The Preston Gates Guide to Telecommunications in Asia, 2006 ed., (Asia Law & Practice, 2006)
Activities and Affiliations
- Hon Legal Advisor, Singapore Computer Society
- Global Technology Law Conference 2015 : The Future of Money and Data, June 29, 2015
- Personal Data Protection Act - Compliance, December 5, 2013
- Personal Data Protection Act Seminar, August 29, 2013
- Development Of Copyright Law In Singapore, April 26, 2013
- Social Media and IP, January 19, 2011
- Panel Discussion On "Empowering Business & Employees With Life-Long Learning & Certification", November 18, 2009
- Securing IP In And Around Software Applications With Open Sources, July 30, 2009
- Understanding IP In Software, July 10, 2009
- Negotiating, Drafting And Managing IT Contracts, June 23, 2009
- IP In Information Technology, March 18, 2009
- IP In Information Technology, November 12, 2008
- Google Issues - Is Content Liability Sexy Again?, October 15, 2007
- Understanding The Limits To Data Collection And Reassessing Electronic Marketing And Its Relationship With Consumers, June 19, 2007
- Copyright Issues, January 10, 2007
- Negotiation Of Difficult Issues In Software Contracts, November 3, 2006
- SMBNet Executive Roundtable Discussion 2006, September 26, 2006
- Privacy & Data Protection, May 16, 2006
- Identifying And Managing Unstructured Information, April 27, 2006
- Employee Privacy & Surveillance, April 5, 2006
- Electronic Agreements, March 15, 2006
Prior and Present Employment
- Senior Partner - Dentons Rodyk (formerly Rodyk & Davidson LLP) (2002 - present)
- GE Medical Systems (1999 - 2002)
- Baan Company (1997 - 1999)
- Rodyk & Davidson (1990 - 1997)