Iain Sharp is a partner in our Litigation and Dispute Resolution and Arbitration practice groups. His main areas of practice are international trade and commodities (including oil & gas and energy), and international commercial arbitration.
Iain has a wide range of experience, both contentious and non-contentious, and has been involved in matters that include international trade and commodities, oil and gas, shipping, banking and finance disputes, defence products, civil fraud, intellectual property and technology (including trademarks, image and author rights, license agreements, sponsorship and endorsement contracts), and insurance/reinsurance. In addition to resolving disputes through litigation and alternative dispute resolution (including mediation and negotiation), he has conducted several major arbitrations in London, Scandinavia, Continental Europe, Dubai, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan and South Korea under institutional rules, such as ICC, LCIA, DIFC-LCIA, LMAA, HKIAC, SIAC, CIETAC, CMAC, Swiss Rules and ad-hoc arbitrations (UNCITRAL). Iain has also conducted arbitrations under trade association rules including LME, GAFTA and ICA.
Iain regularly advises clients on a wide range of legal issues, including contracts for the sale and purchase of goods, agency/distribution agreements, general trading terms and conditions, charter parties, economic sanctions, operational and legal risk management, trade finance, and letters of credit.
Iain has particular experience working with clients and handling commercial, international trade and commodities, and dispute-related matters involving China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand and Vietnam.
- Singapore-based trader: Acting in an UNCITRAL Rules arbitration involving a dispute with a leading global trader over the sale and purchase of Colombian coal.
- A Singapore-based trading company: Acting in a London Maritime Arbitrators' Association (LMAA) arbitration involving a charter party dispute.
- An international steel trader: Advising in connection with a dispute with Thai purchasers involving contracts for the sale and purchase of hot rolled steel sheets in coils.
- A leading international bank: Advising in relation to the mitigation of title issues, limitation of liability and risk management aspects of a series of back-to-back contracts for the sale and purchase of oil.
- A SGX-listed commodity trader: Advising in relation to its physical and paper trading under PORAM and FOSFA standard form contracts including the application of economic sanctions and legal/operational risks arising from the same.
- A leading Australian investment bank: Advising on simple bank guarantees in connection with ISDA trading and pledge wording for security over commodities in bonded storage in China. Advised the same client on contractual and operational issues relating to the sale and purchase and financing of base metals for the Korean market.
- US-based leading supplier of aerospace and defence products: Providing commercial contract advice (English law) in connection with contracts relating to the supply of composite components for aero engine systems.
- A Southeast Asian conglomerate, focused on palm oil, pulp and paper, cellulose and oil and gas: Advising on in connection with a shipment of palm oil valued in excess of $11 million, where issues connected to US sanctions on Iran arose.
- A leading global player in the food and beverage industry: Advising in a dispute with a franchisee over a series of international franchise agreements relating to Asian markets providing for arbitration under the rules of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre.
- A Singapore-based energy trading company in relation to contract terms (including sanctions, destination restriction, force majeure and limitation of liability): Advising for the back-to-back sale and purchase of petroleum products.
- A professional MMA fighter and personal trainer: Advising in connection with an artiste agreement for a reality TV series.
- An Indian commodity importer: Defending in English Commercial Court (including Court of Appeal) proceedings involving the sale and purchase of coal and claims for indemnity under Letters of Indemnity (LOIs) - Great Eastern Shipping Co Ltd v (1) Far East Chartering Ltd (2) Binani Cement Ltd (The "Jag Ravi")  EWHC 1372 (Comm);  Lloyd's Rep Plus 65; (2011) 824 LMLN 1;  EWCA Civ 180.
- An oil and gas exploration company: Acting in connection with a dispute arising from an exploration licence for North Sea assets.
- A Chinese state-owned joint venture company: Acting in an international trade dispute in the Commercial Court involving the sale and importation of fuel oil from Singapore into China and the enforcement of an irrevocable payment undertaking - Raiffeisen Zentralbank ?ûsterreich AG v China Marine Bunker (Petrochina) Co. Ltd.  All ER (D) 37 (Jan);  1 Lloyd's Rep. Plus 18 (Comm. Ct).
- A Middle Eastern Government: Acting in a US$200 million ICC arbitration involving the sale and purchase of shares in a telecoms company.
- Asia Pacific Legal 500: Recognized as a Leading Individual in International Arbitration, Shipping and Shipping (Foreign), 2011/2012, 2012/2013
- United Kingdom Legal 500: Recognized as a Leading Individual for Shipping and International Arbitration, 2009
- Author, "Assessing Damages For Repudiation Of A Voyage Charter - Giving Effect To The Compensatory Principle", Starboard, October 2015
- Co-author, "Conflict Of Party Autonomy In The Selection Of Arbitrators - A Pragmatic Approach To Resolution", Starboard, June 2015
- Author, "Setting aside arbitral awards - the high threshold for public policy and natural justice", Arbitration Update, May 2015
- Co-author, "Clarification of the Approach to Non-Arbitrable Claims - Silica Investors v Tomolugen Holdings (Singapore High Court)", International Arbitration Alert, June 2014
- Co-author, "LCIA Rules 2014 - Final Draft Released", International Arbitration Alert, March 2014
- Co-author, "PT First Media v Astro Nusantara: A cautionary tale on the enforcement of arbitral awards and joinder of third parties", International Arbitration Alert, December 2013
- Co-author, "The Impact of Iran Sanctions on Commodity Trade - A Review of Some Recent Developments", Energy and Natural Resources Client Service Bulletin, September 2013
- Co-author, "Recent developments in Asia involving some of the leading and developing arbitral institutions", Commodities Practice Alert, July 2013
- Co-author, "The Impact of Iran Sanctions on Commodity Trade - An Update", Commodities Practice Alert, May 2013
- Co-author, "Changes to the Governance Structure and Rules of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre", International Arbitration Alert, April 2013
Activities and Affiliations
- International Trade (Commodities) - Assessment of Damages in International Sale Contracts, February 24, 2016
- Breakfast Seminar Series: International Trade (Commodities) - Keeping time on your side, November 5, 2015
- Asian Disputes Seminar, September 30, 2014
- The Rise of Bet-the-Company Litigation, September 24, 2014
- Recent Developments in International Commodity Trade: Recoverability of Hedging and Other Losses, February 21, 2014
- International Sale of Goods: Understanding Operational and Legal Risks, September 17, 2013
- Case study: Operational and Legal Risks in Physical Commodities Trading, June 12, 2012
- Going Rogue - How Do We Control Rogue Traders?, June 6, 2012
- Common Trade Disputes arising from Market Volatility, April 20, 2012
- Shipment of Dangerous Bulk Cargo, November 17, 2011
- Implications of Dodd-Frank for Asian Institutions, September 8, 2011
- Letters of Indemnity in International Trade and Shipping, August 11, 2011
- Letters of Credit and Legal Developments involving UCP600, March 3, 2011
- Energy Trading Regulation and the Future for OTC Derivatives, September 24, 2010
- Member, Law Society of England & Wales
- Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Member, Groupe ASA des Jeunes Praticiens de l'Arbitrage (part of the Association Suisse de l'Arbitrage)
- Member, LCIA Asia Pacific Users' Council
- Member, Association for International Arbitration
- General Council Member, Asia-Pacific Forum for International Arbitration
Prior and Present Employment
- Partner - Dentons Rodyk (formerly Rodyk & Davidson LLP) (2014 - present)
- Bryan Cave LLP (2012 - 2014)
- Kennedys Singapore LLP (2010 - 2012)
- Reynolds Porter Chamberlain LLP (2005 - 2010)
- Pinsent Masons (2003 - 2005)
- Richards Butler (Hong Kong) (1999 - 2003)
- Clyde & Co (1998 - 1999)
- Boodle Hatfielsd (1996 - 1998)