Jia Xian is a partner in our Corporate practice. Her principal areas of practice are corporate and commercial law, tax law and competition law.
In her corporate practice, Jia Xian has advised on a wide range of matters including regulatory compliance, employment, corporate governance, investments, joint ventures and M&A. Jia Xian also focuses on tax and competition law, advising clients on tax and competition-related matters arising in the course of their business, as well as on a transactional basis. Her tax practice focuses mainly on advisory and transactional work spanning a wide range of industries, covering Singapore corporate and individual income tax, goods and services tax and stamp duty. She has also advised on on international tax issues, particularly in the context of planning and structuring (or restructuring) of global operations or cross-border transactions. Jia Xian’s competition practice similarly encompasses the various aspects of Singaporean competition law, including notifications of market conduct and mergers to the Competition Commission of Singapore (CCS), advising in investigations conducted by the CCS, and reviewing of agreements and business practices for compliance with Singapore competition law.
Jia Xian’s broad scope of practice has allowed her to work with clients ranging from large multinational corporations, to individuals, small-and-medium sized enterprises and nonprofit organizations, and across multiple industry sectors including aviation, insurance, energy, food and beverage, technology, trading, shipping and manufacturing.
- Heineken International B.V.: Acting as Singaporean counsel and successfully obtaining a clearance decision in its application to the CCS in respect of its proposed acquisition of shares in Asia Pacific Breweries Limited and Asia Pacific Investment Pte Ltd from Fraser & Neave for approximately S$8.1 billion. Awarded "Singapore M&A Deal of the Year" and "SE Asia Deal of the Year" at the ALB SE Asia 2013 Law Awards.
- Japan Airlines International Co Ltd and American Airlines Inc: Acting as Singaporean counsel in their joint notification to the CCS and successfully obtaining a clearance decision in respect of their Joint Business Agreement and Alliance Agreement.
- American International Group Inc (AIG): Acting as Singapore ancounsel and advising on Singapore regulatory and merger control issues relating to the proposed acquisition by Prudential Plc of Asian life insurance arm, American International Assurance Co (AIA) for S$50 billion.
- Leading worldwide multinational company: Acting and obtaining a favorable decision from the CCS in the electronics sector in an investigation for alleged price-fixing and bid-rigging anti-competitive activities.
- Southeast Asia's largest supplier: Advising in industrial and specialty gases on the competitive effects of a proposed share acquisition under Singapore's merger control regime.
- Malayan Banking Berhad: Acting in its US$1.5 billion acquisition of a controlling stake in PT Bank Internasional Indonesia Tbk (BII) from Temasek Holdings and Kookmin Bank. The deal was a "SE Asia Deal of the Year" finalist at the ALB SE Asia 2009 Law Awards.
- Venture-backed microelectronics developer: Advising in the relocation of its global headquarters to Singapore and led on the closing of a fresh US$16 million financing round with investors including Singapore's leading global fund, EDB Investments Pte Ltd.
- WNS (Holdings) Limited, a leading provider of global BPO (business outsourcing process) services: Acting in its acquisition of Aviva Global Services, from Aviva, the world's fifth largest insurance group, for £115 million.
- Scandinavian listed global telecommunications company: Advising on the corporate tax-related aspects of its proposed sale of subsidiaries across 30 jurisdictions to a publicly listed company in Singapore, including the negotiation and drafting of tax warranties and indemnities in the transaction.
- South Korea's largest listed wireless telecommunications carrier: Advising on the corporate tax-related aspects of the incorporation, operation and exit of a joint venture company in Singapore for its mobile platform business unit.
- German solar power plant operator: Advising on the corporate tax-related aspects of a proposed Singapore holding structure for outbound investments and construction projects in India.
- Swiss global private markets investment management firm: Advising on the corporate tax-related aspects of a proposed Singaporean holding structure for outbound investments and divestitures in the Asia Pacific region.
- Fortune 500 global leader in BPO and information technology services: Advising on its tax due diligence for the acquisition of a Singapore company specializing in care automation, analytics and knowledge management.
- Europe's largest global leading single-brand manufacturer of sanitary fittings: Advising on Singapore's tax treaty network in the ASEAN region.
- Swiss global microfinance intermediary company: Advising on Singapore transfer pricing considerations in respect of its intercompany service agreements.
- Co-author, "CCS Ceases Investigation Of Non-Compete Clause," Rodyk Reporter - Competition Law Alert, December 2013
- Co-author, "Rodyk Acts For Heineken In The Competition Commission Of Singapore Investigation Of A Soft Drinks Non-compete Agreement With Fraser & Neave," Competition Law Alert, November 2013
- Co-author, "Competition Law And Your Business," Rodyk Reporter - Business Bulletin, September 2010
- Co-author, "Singapore Inc," Soulier Avocats E-Newsletter, January 2009 (France: Soulier Avocats, 2009)
Activities and Affiliations
- Accredited tax practitioner (income tax), Singapore Institute of Accredited Tax Professionals
- Law Society of Singapore
- Singapore Academy of Law
Prior and Present Employment
- Partner, Dentons Rodyk (formerly Rodyk & Davidson LLP), 2008–present