Joseph Lee is a partner in Dentons Rodyk's Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice group.
Joseph practices commercial litigation and arbitration. He handles a wide array of commercial matters with particular focus in the field of construction, aviation, employment, administrative and landlord and tenant law.
In his building and construction practice, Joseph has acted for developers in private and public sector projects, advising on both front end building and construction agreements as well as acting in disputes. Joseph has also represented individuals and contractors in arbitrations and statutory adjudication applications.
Joseph also has a depth of knowledge in real estate litigation, and has represented several management corporations and managing agents in a variety of disputes ranging from defects liability, land encroachment, building control regulations to vendor disputes. His practice in this area also includes tenancy disputes.
In his aviation practice, Joseph has represented international carriers in passenger and cargo claims, aircraft arrests and advised in relation to registration of carriers in Singapore.
Joseph has also advised and acted for a variety of clients in employment matters, and possesses particular skills and knowledge in the area of restrictive covenants, obligations of confidentiality and employee duties.
As part of his administrative law practice, Joseph has advised statutory boards and local authorities in the gas and electricity market in a wide array of regulatory issues. A unique aspect of his practice includes disputes concerning land acquisition.
- Singapore Tourism Board: Acting in the prosecution of a claim for breach of contract by the organizers of the Listen Live Event. Reported at Singapore Tourism Board v. Children's Media Ltd and Others  3 SLR 981.
- Confidentil client: Representing an Indonesian entity in a dispute with a French and Singapore entity concerning the supply of electronic chips to the Indonesian government.
- Confidentil client: Representing an overseas tertiary education institution in a dispute with a private education provider concerning the terms of the agreement between the two for the delivery of the former’s courses.
- SATS Ltd: Representing in a dispute with a major carrier over damage allegedly occasioned to the carrier's aircraft.
- Confidential client: Representing an international carrier in a dispute with a fuel provider over the provision of defective fuel that led to aircraft damage and personal injury.
- Confidential client: Representing a publicly listed company in criminal proceedings instituted by the Ministry of Manpower in relation to a fatality that occurred on-site.
- Confidential client: Representing a medical devices company in a High Court dispute with a group of former employees who set up a competing company in breach of their obligations of non-competition and obligation of confidentiality.
- Confidential client: Representing a medical devices company in a High Court dispute with its former employee over the setting up of a competing company by the former employee.
- Ethoz Capital Ltd: Routinely representing in a variety of matters including debt collection, hire purchase and lease agreements.
- DBS Bank Ltd: Representing in a dispute involving the acquisition of JTC land by the government which called into question a mortgagor’s rights in respect of the proceeds of the land acquisition and the priority of such rights over those of the borrower’s and third-party option holders over the land.
- Confidential client: Representing the developer of a seven-storey industrial building in a dispute with the main contractor over the time for completion of the project and liability for delay.
- Confidential client: Representing an employer in an adjudication application by the main contractor made pursuant to the Building and Construction Security of Payment Act.
- Confidential client: Representing a chocolate franchise owner in a dispute with its franchisee over the terms of the franchise agreement.
- Confidential client: Representing a specialist piping contractor in a dispute with a multinational general contractor company over the value of variation orders and claims for extension of time. The matter went to arbitration and a unique aspect of the dispute concerned the validity of the multi-tier arbitration clause between the parties that could offend the statutory prohibition against pay when paid clauses.
- Confidential client: Representing a specialist piping contractor in a coroner's inquiry concerning the death of two workers involved in an industrial accident in Jurong Island.
- Co-author, "High Court Clarifies Insurer's Duty Of Good Faith," Rodyk Reporter - Litigation Brief, December 2011
- Co-author, "Landmark Court Of Appeal Decision On Right Of Way," Rodyk Reporter - Litigation Brief, September 2009
- Co-author, "The Singapore Court Of Appeal Reviews Three Rivers No. 5," Rodyk Reporter - Litigation Brief, June 2007
- Co-author, "Guide To Office Raids," Rodyk Guides, April 2006
- Co-author, Singapore Chapter, Getting the Deal Through: Air Transportation in 41 Jurisdictions Worldwide 2012, United Kingdom: Law Business Research, 2006
Activities and Affiliations
- Construction Industry: Financial & Legal Perspectives, February 26, 2016
- Zhejiang-Singapore International Arbitration Seminar, June 27, 2014
- International Arbitration Forum - Practical Guide to International Arbitration, June 26, 2014
- International Futures Dispute Resolution - A Singapore Perspective, June 25, 2014
- Aircraft Manufacturer's Liability, June 24, 2014
- Seminar on International Arbitration in Singapore, May 29, 2014
- The Dangers Inherent In Passing Comments On Social Media Websites, January 26, 2013
- Talk on the Consumer Protection (Fair Trading) Act to Wheelock Properties, January 18, 2013
- Talk on latest developments in Singapore Arbitration Law in the People's Republic of China, 6 December 2012, December 6, 2012
- Recent Development Of International Arbitration In Singapore, December 6, 2012
- Talk on the Consumer Protection (Fair Trading) Act to REDAS, June 21, 2012
- Talk On Competition Law, July 29, 2009
- Understanding Your Employment Contract, June 24, 2009
Prior and Present Employment
- Partner - Dentons Rodyk (2005 - present)
- Jones Day (2004 - 2005)