Josephine Koh is a senior partner at Dentons Rodyk.
After about 20 years of working in China, both as in-house counsel and private practitioner, Josephine has seen and managed countless corporate legal transactions, many of which involve extensive negotiations, due diligence, litigations, arbitrations, as well as the structuring and documentation of cross-border deals and businesses. Her practice areas include corporate transactional work relating to mergers and acquisitions, cross-border joint ventures and many other foreign direct investment projects in and out of China.
As a Singapore-qualified lawyer with common law training who has also spent more than a decade operating in the Chinese business environment, she is efficient and confident as an important conduit for many multinational investments into China. She has been a resource to foreign companies and individuals seeking to operate or operating in China. Her transaction list is extensive and ranges from infrastructure and real estate projects, to medical, banking and financial services, manufacturing, hospitality, information technology and other service industries. Josephine also provides corporate advisory services on the restructuring and reorganization of Chinese companies and foreign invested enterprises in China as well as other related corporate work. The transactions she advised on include investments, acquisitions, divestments and restructurings in various cities in China, such as Beijing, Shanghai, Dalian, Qingdao, Hangzhou, Suzhou, Shanxi, Wuxi, Nanjing, Hainan, Shenyang, Tianjin, Chengdu, Zhengzhou, Xian, Guangzhou and Harbin.
Josephine is one of the rare foreign lawyers in China who had the opportunities to grow in tandem with the expansion of China's economic prowess over the years. She has acquired invaluable insight into the understanding of the development and practice of Chinese laws in China. She has her own unique perception and understanding of the China practice. She is acutely aware of the often conflicting interests and variances in cultures and business mindsets of foreign and Chinese businesses in inbound and outbound businesses. As the chief representative and resident partner of Rodyk & Davidson LLP (now Dentons Rodyk) for about 15 years, she has also trained, groomed and cultivated numerous foreign and Chinese legal practitioners, many of whom are now either still with the Firm or hold respectable positions in the legal industry. Her management skills and understanding of the Chinese way of operating businesses have also impressed many clients over the years.
Josephine is the honorary legal advisor for the Singapore Shanghai Business Association. She participates actively as speaker in the seminars and conferences over the years held by various legal seminars as well as the trade industries and committees in Singapore, Malaysia, China, and India.
Josephine is proficient in English and Mandarin, and is conversant in Chinese dialects such as Cantonese, Teochew, Hokkien and Hakka. She also comprehends the Shanghainese dialect. She obtained the highest level of the Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK) in 1995. After more than 20 years of practicing in China, she is skilled in drafting, translating and negotiating both English and Chinese legal contracts and documents for her clients.
- Changi Airports International: Acting in its 1.08 billion yuan (S$214 million) acquisition of a 29% stake in Nanjing Lukou International Airport, China's fifth largest in terms of international cargo volume.
- Confidential clients: Acting for the related companies of Mapletree Industrial Fund in their acquisition and divestment of assets or companies in Shanghai, Foshan and Jiangsu areas in China.
- Raffles Education Corporation (REC): Acting in its acquisition of Shan Xi Education Investment Co. Ltd through its wholly-owned subsidiary in China for a purchase consideration of US$6.3 million.
- Consortium: Acting for the consortium comprising Temasek Holdings, Keppel and Sing Holdings in the sale of an office building in Shanghai, China.
- Frasers Centrepoint Limited and its Chinese subsidiaries: Acting in their investments and real estate projects in Shanghai, Kunshan, Beijing, Hainan, and Xian, China.
- CapitaLand Ltd and its Chinese subsidiaries: Acting in various projects in China, including its acquisition of land and buildings and joint ventures with Chinese partners in Beijing, Shanghai and Chongqing.
- Ascendas group: Acting in its acquisition properties in Shanghai and a research and development zone in Beijing, and other projects in China.
- Wing Tai Holdings and its Chinese subsidiaries: Acting in their acquisitions of land and companies in Shanghai and other parts of China.
- Q & M Dental Group, the largest private dental healthcare group in Singapore: Acting in its investments and expansion in various cities in China.
- Parkway Holdings Ltd: Acting in its acquisition of interests in medical hospitals and clinics in China.
- Raffles Medical Group: Advising in its acquisition of interests and investments in China.
- Sembcorp Industrial Park: Acting in its joint venture in Guanxi, China to form the Singapore-Guanxi Industrial Park.
- Singapore Food Industries Pte Ltd: Acting in its investments and joint venture in Jilin, China in the Jilin (Singapore) Modern Agricultural Cooperation Zone.
- Singapore Mass Rapid Transport: Advising in its proposed joint venture and bid of projects in China.
- ComfortDelgro: Acting in its divestments of businesses and assets in Shanghai, Suzhou and Zhengzhou.
- Asia Pacific Legal 500: Recognized lawyer, 2006 - 2008
- Author, "PRC Labour Laws: An Update," Rodyk Reporter - Regional Reports, December 2013
- Author, "Paid Annual Leave Under Chinese Employment Law," Rodyk Reporter - Regional Reports, March 2009
- Author, "China - New Rules For Residential Property Transactions By Individuals," Rodyk Reporter - Regional Reports, December 2008
- Author, "Legal Issues Relating To Foreign Real Estate Investment In China," Rodyk Reporter - Regional Reports, December 2007
- Author, "Setting Up a Foreign - Owned Investment Company In China," Rodyk Reporter - Regional Reports, March 2007
Activities and Affiliations
- Honorary Legal Advisor, Singapore Shanghai Business Association
Community Involvement and Pro Bono
- Lecturer, Business Law, Nanyang Business School
- Legal Issues relating to Investments in South East Asian Countries, October 30, 2015
- Mergers & Acquisitions, S-Chips and the China Experience, June 27, 2012
- Seminar on Offshore Dispute Resolution By International Arbitration, June 1, 2012
- Present and Future Trends of CAFTA Trade In Goods, Services and Investment, September 26, 2011
- Managing International M&A And Takeover Transactions, April 9, 2010
- Real Estate Acquisition In China: An Update of Legal Developments, August 2, 2007
- Legal Framework Of Foreign Investments In China - Banking Issues In China, September 29, 2006
- Legal Framework For Investment Into China, February 14, 2006
- Investing In China, January 25, 2006
Prior and Present Employment
- Partner – Dentons Rodyk (2016 – Present)
- Consultant – Dentons Rodyk (2014 – 2016)
- Partner and Chief Representative – Dentons Rodyk (2002 – 2014)
- Partner and Chief Representative – HelenYeo & Partners (1998 – 2002)
- General Counsel – Kerry Properties Ltd (1996 – 1998)
- Legal Assistant – Rajah & Tann (1994 – 1996)
- Deputy Public Prosecutor – The Attorney-General's Chambers (1991 – 1994)