Koh Kia Jeng is a Partner in Dentons Rodyk's Litigation and Dispute Resolution group.
Kia Jeng has experience in a wide range of civil and commercial cases, including insurance, sale of goods, shareholders' disputes, employment, building and construction, insolvency, the economic torts, commercial arbitration and patent litigation cases. Kia Jeng is particularly interested in cross-border issues in commercial litigation and international arbitration, and has acted for a liquidator in a dispute involving cross-border insolvency issues and fraud.
In his building and construction practice, he has advised contractors, owners and developers on building and construction issues and standard form contracts, and acted for them in their disputes. He has also advised and acted in adjudication applications.
Kia Jeng was part of the Rodyk & Davidson LLP (now Dentons Rodyk) team who acted for the main contractor in the inquiry into the Nicoll Highway collapse.
In his insolvency practice, he has advised creditors and liquidators on "claw back" provisions under the Companies Act, schemes of arrangement, liquidation, and judicial management. He has also advised contractors when faced with a counterparty's insolvency.
Kia Jeng also acts for insurers in motor negligence cases, particularly in personal injury claims.
- Confidential client: Acting for a financial institution in an arbitration against a foreign entity in respect of claims arising out of a security package in a loan facility granted to a subsidiary of the foreign entity.
- Confidential client: Acting for a developer in a dispute with a purchaser on the issue of whether strata voids within the floor area of a condominium unit fall under the terms of a sale and purchase agreement.
- Confidential client: Successfully acting for an insurer in its defense in various claims, including alleged breach of duties of utmost good faith, as reported on  4 SLR 130, The Stansfield Group Pte Ltd (trading as Stansfield College) and another v. Consumers' Association of Singapore and NTUC Income.
- Confidential client: Acting for a mining company in its fast-track arbitration that lasted three months from commencement of arbitration to award on the substantive issues, including an application for an interim injunction.
- Confidential clients: Successfully acting for applicants seeking relief for inter-floor seepages before the Strata Titles Board.
- Confidential client: Acting for a former distributor of a continental car marque where there were preliminary issues of jurisdiction and submission to arbitration.
- Confidential clients: Acting for creditors who successfully applied to put a listed company into judicial management.
- Confidential clients: Acting for liquidators in defending claims by several international financial institutions of metal stock warehoused in Singapore arising from the insolvency of an international metal trader and a massive international fraud valued by liquidators at US$350 million.
- Confidential client: Acting for the subcontractor in respect of additional works and extension of time claims in a construction arbitration dispute with the main contractor.
- Commerz Grundbesitz Invesmentgesellschaft (CGI): Acting for German fund, now known as CommerzReal, in a complex real estate and construction deal that involved the acquisition of 78 Shenton Way for approximately S$650 million.
- MGP Raffle Pte Ltd, of the Macquarie Global Property Advisors Group (MGPA): Acting for the buyer fund manager in its purchase of Temasek Tower for S$1.04 billion, the second largest property transaction in Singapore.
- Confidential client: Acting for a multinational contractor in respect of separate prosecutions brought under the repealed Factories Act, now the Workplace Safety and Health Act.
- Confidential client: Acting for a respondent in an international arbitration and successfully struck out the claimant's claim in the sum of US$3.3 million based on a preliminary and jurisdictional objection.
- Confidential client: Acting for main contractor in the inquiry into the Nicoll Highway Collapse.
- Asia Pacific Legal 500, Recognized in the area of Dispute Resolution, 2015
- Author, "Time Is Of The Essence - Even If It's Just Two Minutes," Construction Updates, October 2015
- Author, "Astro v Lippo - From Singapore To Hong Kong - An Obligation To Act In Good Faith?," Rodyk Reporter - Litigation Brief, April 2015
- Author, "The claimant to pay the respondent? A twist to the SOP Act: Quanta Industries Pte Ltd v. Strategic Construction Pte Ltd  SGHC 02," Construction & Arbitration Update, February 2015
- Co-author, "Service Of Documents By Email In Adjudication," Rodyk Reporter - Litigation Brief, June 2013
- Co-author, "Revisiting The 'Best Endeavours' And The 'All Reasonable Endeavours' Clauses," Rodyk Reporter - Litigation Brief, June 2013
- Co-author, "High Court Clarifies Insurer's Duty Of Good Faith," Rodyk Reporter - Litigation Brief, December 2011
- Co-author, "Riddick And Harman: How Far Do They Go?," Rodyk Reporter - Litigation Brief, December 2010
- Co-Author, "Continuing Improvements In Occupational Safety And Health In Singapore," Rodyk Reporter - Litigation Brief, June 2006
Activities and Affiliations
- Member, Law Awareness Committee under the Pro Bono Services Office, The Law Society of Singapore
- Managing Risk, Time And Costs In The Construction Industry, July 14, 2015
- International Arbitration, April 22, 2015
- "International Arbitration: The Midnight Clause, The Dispute and The Awakening," April 23, 2014
- Construction Insolvency - Views From Alpine Bau's Liquidators And Lawyers, March 19, 2014
- Introducing Arbitration, Corruption and Competition - the Law in Singapore, November 27, 2013
- Singapore: Your Partner For Internationalisation - M&A, Listing and Arbitration, September 4, 2013
- Mergers & Acquisitions; the Singapore Experience and International Arbitration; the Singapore Perspective, September 3, 2013
- An introduction to International Arbitration and Strategies - The Singapore Perspective, May 31, 2013
- An introduction to International Arbitration and Strategies - The Singapore Perspective, May 30, 2013
- Managing Risks In Expansion: Taxation, Legal and Intellectual Property, May 29, 2013
- Seminar For Chinese Enterprises in Singapore: Legal Issues Relating To Business Operation, April 25, 2013
- Update On The Security Of Payments Act And BIM Law, December 15, 2012
- Admissibility Of Electronics Evidence In Court, December 13, 2012
- Talk On Motor Accident Claims, July 31, 2009
- Safe Construction & Unsafe Insurance, May 22, 2007
- Risk Management In Construction Contracts, May 18, 2007
- Understanding The Legal Issues In Extension Of Time And Variations, May 5, 2007
Prior and Present Employment
- Partner, Dentons Rodyk (formerly Rodyk & Davidson LLP), 2004 - present
- Lee & Lee, 2003 - 2004