Kia Meng's key area of practice is in dispute resolution involving civil and commercial litigation and arbitration. He also advises clients on corporate governance and transactions involving leasing, insurance, construction and cross-border deals.
In relation to dispute resolution, Kia Meng's focus is on real estate, leasing, construction and insurance, disputes. He has advised a wide spectrum of clients on matters involving insolvency, employment and director/shareholder disputes. He also represented clients in matters concerning white collar crimes.
Kia Meng's clients include major developers, banks, insurance companies, multinational companies (MNCs), public listed companies and small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). He has represented and advised individual clients on trust, estate and probate matters.
- PRC provincial government: Acting in the judicial management of Hangzhou-based conglomerate Zhejiang Zhongjiang Holding Co Ltd, involving RMB 5 billion.
- Confidential client: Acting for a company in a multimillion-Singaporean-dollar dispute involving publicly listed companies Blumont Ltd, Asiasons Ltd and Liongold Ltd.
- A*STAR: Acting in the coroner's inquiry into the death of American researcher Dr. Shane Todd.
- Embassy of Netherlands in Singapore: Advising in relation a property issue.
- Embassy of the People's Republic of China: Advising on various matters.
- Grange Properties Pte Ltd, the developer of Grange Infinite: Acting for the defendant. The plaintiff, a private real estate fund linked to ARA Asset Management Limited, has sued Grange Properties Pte Ltd for alleged misrepresentation and breach of contract for damages amounting to S$50 million.
- Singapore Tourism Board: Advising on various issues in relation to the management and operation of attractions under its purview, as well as representing the Singapore Tourism Board in disputes arising from such agreements.
- Ministry of Sound International Limited: Representing against LifeBrandz Limited in a dispute arising from a license agreement between the parties.
- Dow Jones Wall Street Journal Asia and two individual editors: Representing of the Wall Street Journal Asia in contempt of court charges brought by the attorney-general of Singapore, reported at Attorney-General v Hertzberg Daniel and Others  SGHC 218.
- Taiwanese MNC: Acting in an International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) arbitration with a large Japanese MNC in the electronics manufacturing sector concerning disputes arising from a joint venture agreement involving claims and counterclaims of about US$200 million.
- Local crane company: Representing on the instructions of its insurers in a claim by the MCST of Suntec City against several parties for damage caused to the Fountain of Wealth in a vehicle lifting operation in 2003.
- Local publicly listed company: Representing in an action against its former directors for breach of fiduciary duties, reported at Firstlink Energy Pte Ltd v Creanovate Pte Ltd and Another Action  1 SLR 1050;  SGHC 24. Successfully resisted the subsequent appeal by the client's directors, reported at Creanovate Pte Ltd and Another v Firstlink Energy Pte Ltd and Another Appeal  4 SLR 780;  SGCA 4.
- Co-author, "Of Showflat And Property Advertisements," Rodyk Reporter - Litigation Brief, March 2012
Activities and Affiliations
- Singapore - Your Partner for Legal Solutions in Asia, November 29, 2013
- Conference on China Overseas Enterprises' Risk Management and Prevention, November 28, 2013
- TMT Disputes - The Experience of TMT Disputes Lawyers / TMT Arbitration China Conference, September 12, 2013
- An introduction to International Arbitration and Strategies - The Singapore Perspective, May 31, 2013
- An introduction to International Arbitration and Strategies - The Singapore Perspective, May 30, 2013
- Seminar For Chinese Enterprises in Singapore: Legal Issues Relating To Business Operation, April 25, 2013
- M&A Trends In Asia - Singapore Perspective, March 7, 2013
- IP And Copyright Issues In Your Coursework And Research, January 26, 2013
- Leasing - What You Need To Know, September 22, 2009
- Leasing - What You Need To Know, August 4, 2009
- Talk On Motor Accident Claims, July 31, 2009
Prior and Present Employment
- Partner, Dentons Rodyk (formerly Rodyk & Davidson LLP), 2004–present
- AbrahamLow LLC, 2003–2004