Kirindeep Singh is a senior partner in our Litigation & Arbitration Practice. Kirin graduated with LLB (Hons) from the University of Leeds in 1995 and with a BCL from Oxford University in 1997.
Kirin's primary practice areas are construction and engineering, energy, arbitration and general civil and commercial litigation. In construction and engineering, Kirin has been involved in numerous disputes in adjudication, arbitration and litigation. He represents owners, developers, consultants, and contractors in construction and engineering disputes under standard form and bespoke contracts. He has acted for parties in various energy disputes in the region and major infrastructure, building and redevelopment projects in Singapore such as the MRT North-East Line Projects, the MRT Circle Line Projects, the Deep Tunnel Sewage System, the construction of Khoo Teck Phuat Hospital and the redevelopment and expansion of the National University Hospital. In addition, Kirin has been involved in the drafting of various construction and engineering contracts, EPC Contracts pertaining to the Oil & Gas industry and has often advised on project planning and risk management issues from inception to completion of the project.
Besides advising local clients in various disputes both in Court and at arbitration, Kirin has been involved in various regional matters and commercial arbitrations as well, including those in Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Mauritius, India and Hong Kong.
Kirin has handled a wide range of civil and commercial litigation work, including contractual claims, claims in tort, employment matters, insurance-related claims, professional negligence, performance bonds, equity and trusts, banking work, property-related matters, landlord and tenant disputes and professional disciplinary proceedings.
Kirin is a contributor to the Singapore Precedents of Pleadings and speaks on a regular basis at various arbitration and construction and engineering conferences in Singapore and overseas. His teaching and training experience includes being an Associate Lecturer for Construction Law, Bachelor of Building and Project Management Programme, SIM University, teacher and trainer for the Law Society of Singapore’s SILE Advocacy Course and tutor for the National University of Singapore's Trial Advocacy Course.
Kirin’s paper “Arbitration And Public Policy - Is The Unruly Horse Being Tamed?” was awarded Excellent Legal Paper Award at the IPBA 2013 Conference in Seoul, South Korea.
Kirin is named as a Recognised Practitioner for Construction, Chambers Asia-Pacific 2016 and in the Euromoney Guide to the World’s Leading Construction Lawyers (2nd Edition) for his construction practice. Kirin is also the Chair of the Inter-Pacific Bar Association’s International Construction Projects Committee and a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
Projects & Infrastructure, Construction
Various parties: Acting for a main contractor in Hong Kong in a dispute involving the construction of a sewage disposal system on claims against their insurers and against the employers of the project; Acting for a consortium of main contractors in Thailand for the construction of a wastewater treatment plant in a major province on potential claims against the employer; Acting for a major GLC in a dispute against the employer concerning the construction of a deep tunnel sewage disposal system.
Confidential client: Acting for the employer in Mauritius in a dispute against the contractor concerning the construction of a holiday resort.
Various parties: Acting for the main contractor in Malaysia in an arbitration against the employer over a dispute involving the carrying out of land reclamation works; Acting for a major Singapore GLC in a dispute against the employer concerning reclamation works.
Confidential client: Acting for the developer’s insurer in respect of the disputes pertaining to the defective foundational/sub-structure works of what is now known as Samsung Hub on Church Street.
Confidential client: Acting for the main contractor in Malaysia in a multi-million dollar arbitration at the KLRCA against the employer over a dispute involving the construction of a landmark building in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Various parties: Acting for a major MRT (subway) sub-contractor in a dispute pertaining to the final account arising from the construction of a major interchange on the MRT Down Town Line; Advising Alpine Bau in relation to MRT Downtown Line Contracts C917 and C918; Acting for an International Tunnel Boring Machine supplier in relation to disputes pertaining to the supply of TBMs for various MRT lines in Singapore.
Various parties: Advising on the building of the new Khoo Teck Phuat Hospital, Singapore (estimated project value $450 million); advising on the expansion and redevelopment of the National University Hospital, Singapore; Advising on the construction of Republic Polytechnic, from project inception, including documentation for the selection of consultants and contractors, various project management issues and management of project risks.
- MacGregor Norway and MacGregor Plimsoll: Acting for the Norwegian company against claims made by competitors Huisman and Itrac that they breached copyright and confidentiality laws in the design and build of a multi-purpose tower type subsea handling system.
Japanese EPC contractor: Acting in respect of various disputes (warranties, acceptance tests, change orders requests and variation orders) pertaining to a repowering project for a power plant in Singapore.
Various parties: Acting for an Asian offshore Oil & Gas company on a dispute that arose from an Engineering, Procurement, Installation & Construction Contract that involved designing, engineering and fabrication of topsides and jackets, as well as pipelines for two offshore gas platforms; Acting for a Singapore based offshore Oil & Gas contractor in a dispute pertaining to a gas export pipeline in Myanmar.
US IT oil and gas MNC: Acting in relation to preparation of EPC and EPCM contracts for construction of new plant on Jurong Island, Singapore.
Retail furniture company: Representing (both in the High Court and Court of Appeal) against its former landlords in an action for innocent misrepresentation, alternatively negligent misrepresentation and alternatively repudiatory breach of contract in relation to a 5-year lease agreement - Defu Furniture Pte Ltd v RBC Properties Pte Ltd  SGHC 1; RBC Properties Pte Ltd v Defu Furniture Pte Ltd  SGCA 62.
Government of Laos: Acting in the Singapore High Court in its application for subpoenas to be issued against Ernst and Young (EY) - The Lao People's Democratic Republic v Sanum Investments Ltd and another and another matter  4 SLR 947.
Confidential client: Acting for a client in an action to set aside the registration of an English judgment under the Reciprocal Enforcement of Commonwealth Judgments Act - Westacre Investments, Inc v Yugoimport - SDPR  1 SLR 501.
Confidential client: Acting for an individual in a claim against former employers (multi level marketing company) for termination of his distribution agreement and in an action to set aside an arbitration award against him - Aloe Vera of America, Inc v Asianic Foods (S) Pte Ltd & Another  3 SLR 174.
Confidential client: Acting in relation to various suits concerning the sale of a hard disk cover business. Approximately S$50 million at stake. The case raised many interesting legal issues, including discovery issues and legal professional privilege.
- Euromoney: Guide to the World's Leading Construction Lawyers (2nd Edition)
- Chambers Asia-Pacific: Recognised Practitioner for Construction, 2016
- Co-Author, "Safeguard Against Issuance Of Multiple Payment Claims", Construction Updates, December 2015
- "Case Summary of AQZ v ARA ", Arbitration Update, July 2015
- Co-Author, "Negotiating A Lease? That "No Representations" Clause May Not Get You Out Of Jail", Rodyk Reporter - Litigation Brief, April 2015
- "Court of Appeal - It's the High Court for applications to set aside Adjudication Determinations ("AD") and the State Courts or High Court (depending on adjudicated amount) for leave to enforce ADs", Construction Update, March 2015
- "Damages for defective works - Actual Proof of payment/ rectification work not essential", Construction Update, March 2015
- "Arbitration And Public Policy - Is The Unruly Horse Being Tamed?", Rodyk Reporter - Arbitration Review, June 2012
Activities and Affiliations
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Accredited Adjudicator, Building & Construction Security of Payment Act, Singapore
- Associate Lecturer for Construction Law, Bachelor of Building and Project Management Programme, SIM University
- Chair, International Construction Projects Committee, Inter Pacific Bar Association
- Anti Corruption & Anti Bribery Compliance Asia Masterclass, November 2, 2015
- SISV-SIBL Joint Seminar, 31 July 2015
- Managing Risk, Time And Costs In The Construction Industry, July 14, 2015
- Multi-Tiered Dispute Resolution Processes in International Construction Contracts, May 8, 2015
- Tort Law In Property Development And Construction - Duties Imposed Versus Duties Assumed, April 18, 2015
- The Arbitration Agreement: Key Elements And Drafting Considerations, January 15, 2015
- Mediation and Arbitration: Towards More Effective and Efficient Ways of Resolving International Commercial Disputes, December 2, 2014
- Redefining Litigation Outsourcing Support Services, September 24, 2014
- Variations - What Are The Limits?, July 4, 2014
- Institutional Arbitration at Work: An SIAC Perspective, July 1, 2014
- International Construction Projects Committee Session - "Too Much And Too Many" Variation Case Studies, May 10, 2014
- Hands-On Workshop On Drafting Standard Commercial Contracts Clauses 2013, December 5, 2013
- Tutorial on Various Arbitration Topics, November 15, 2013
- Tutorial Various Arbitration Topics, November 14, 2013
- Lecture of The Arbitration Hearing, November 14, 2013
- Claims Management - Legal Aspects Involving Extensions Of Time, Delay & Disruption & Loss And Expense Claim In Construction, November 8, 2013
- Legal Aspects Involving Extensions Of Time, Delay & Disruption & Loss and Expense Claim In Construction Project, August 28, 2013
- Claims Management: EOT, Delay And Disruption & Loss And Expense Claim In Construction Projects, May 28, 2013
- Appreciating The Pertinent Liabilities Of The Quantity Surveyors, Architects And Contractors, May 10, 2013
- International Arbitration: Perpetual Challenges And Unknown Dangers In Cross Border Disputes, May 3, 2013
- Effective Management Of Construction Claims & Disputes, March 15, 2013
- Hands-On Workshop On Drafting Standard Commercial Contracts Clauses 2012, January 18, 2013
- Hands-On Workshop On Drafting Standard Commercial Contracts Clauses 2012, January 17, 2013
- The Role Of Party Representatives And Counsel, November 9, 2012
- LD, EOT And Variations In Construction Projects, October 19, 2012
- Enforcement Of Arbitral Awards In China, India and ASEAN (Focusing On Indonesia), August 16, 2012
- Interaction Between Liquidated Damages Causes And Extension Of Time Provisions, July 20, 2012
- Building & Construction Law, July 6, 2012
- Professional Negligence, July 5, 2012
- A Hands-on Workshop: Gaining Applicable Insight Into Drafting An Effective Arbitration Clause, May 21, 2012
- Successfully Understanding Legal And Commercial Clauses In Commercial Agreements, May 21, 2012
- Public Policy - Is The Unruly Horse Being Tamed?, April 21, 2012
- A Hands On Workshop on Drafting An Arbitration Clause - Old Wine In A New Bottle, February 1, 2012
- Liquidated Damages And Risk Management Issues In Construction Contracts, 16 December 2011
- Latest Developments In SOP Act Adjudications And Other Recent Developments In Construction Law, July 23, 2011
- Clauses Explained: Boilerplates, Liquidated Damages, Force Majeure, Indemnities, Warranties and Limitation of Liability Clau, April 28, 2011
- A Hands-On Workshop on Drafting An Arbitration Clause, April 13, 2011
- Rodyk 150th Anniversary Celebrations Client Seminars: Building, Construction & Engineering, April 1, 2011
- Avoiding Arbitrary Choices In The Arbitration Process: Managing The Arbitral Process with a Focus On China & Indonesia, February 1, 2011
- Member, Inter - Pacific Bar Association
- Member, Commonwealth Lawyers Association
- Member, Society of Construction Law, Singapore
Prior and Present Employment
- Senior Partner, Dentons Rodyk (formerly Rodyk & Davidson LLP) (2006 - present)
- Rajah & Tann (2001 - 2006)
- Wong Partnership (1997 - 2001)