Mariko is a partner in our Corporate practice. Mariko's areas of practice encompass a broad spectrum ranging from general corporate and commercial law, corporate finance, employment, international trade, cross border M&As, dispute resolution and intellectual property.
She also has experience in the foreign investment matters in the region, especially in Vietnam. She resided in Ho Chi Minh City from 2011 to 2012 and assisted the Japanese companies in their outbound investments in Vietnam. This includes advising on the regulatory and licensing requirements for foreign investors, corporate structure, joint venture agreements, cross border trade, securities and finance, employment, real estate, and share purchases and acquisitions.
In addition, Mariko regularly contributes papers in Japanese to the local Japanese publications and speaks at the seminars for Japanese expatriates in Singapore. She has covered topics including the legal system in Singapore, employment and labour related issues such as the framework of the employment law and the termination of employment, cross border investment and foreign direct investment in South East Asia, and M&A. Such publications and seminars include Hello Singapore booklet, local Japanese newspapers, and for Japanese Chamber of Commerce in Singapore (JCCI) and Japanese External Trade Organisation (JETRO) Singapore.
- A commodity trading company: Acting in structuring a cross border investment scheme for its new project, which involves shipping, insurance, warehouse management and stock finance, in Vietnam.
- A Japanese paper manufacturing company: Acting in its potential acquisition of a Vietnamese company in Vietnam, in relation to legal due diligence, land use right, investment certificate, joint venture agreement, and terms on sales and purchase of shares.
- Confidential client: Assisting and coordinating acquisitions by various Japanese SMEs, in relation to due diligence, negotiations, sale and purchase of shares and assets for non-listed companies (buy-side).
- Japanese computer software company: Assisting in coordinating legal researches on regulatory matters in relation to its potential investments in the service sector in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam and Philippines.
- Various Japanese MNEs: Assisting on employment matters, such as advising on termination of employment, structuring the employment package, advising on the regulatory requirements, preparing and reviewing employment agreements of the Japanese expatriates and local staff, and also the employee regulations in their subsidiaries in the region, including Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam and Philippines.
- Various Japanese companies: Assisting on commercial agreements, in relation to the sales and purchase of goods, service agreements, distributorship agreements, joint venture agreements, e-commerce and security agreements.
- Various Japanese companies: Assisting on their business establishment, including incorporation, licensing applications, corporate secretarial assistances, visa applications, employment agreements, employee regulations and lease agreements in the region.
- Various Japanese companies: Assisting on intellectual property laws, including trademark applications (domestic, multiple countries as well as international application via Madrid protocol, in single and multiple classes), and dealing with office actions and objections raised by the regulators, copyrights and IP licensing agreements in various countries.
- Various Japanese companies: Assisting in commercial dispute resolutions.
- Confidential client: Providing and reviewing legal translations between Japanese and English, which involve a high level of interpretation, including the documents used as evidence in official investigations and/or contentious proceedings.
Activities and Affiliations
- Asia Law Seminar (International Arbitration), October 24, 2014
- Dosisha University Law School Seminar, October 18, 2014
- Asia Law Seminar (M&A), October 16, 2014
- Employment Seminar, September 23, 2014
- Singapore Property Seminar - Legal Issues And Market Updates, June 24, 2014
- Seminar on Practical Issues on Japanese Estate Matters Where Assets Are Held in Singapore, May 28, 2014
- Seminar on Practical Issues on Japanese Estate Matters Where Assets Are Held in Singapore, May 27, 2014
- Seminar on Practical Issues on Japanese Estate Matters Where Assets Are Held in Singapore, May 26, 2014
- Member, Inter-Pacific Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of New South Wales, Australia
Prior and Present Employment
- Partner, Dentons Rodyk (formerly Rodyk & Davidson LLP) (2013 - present)
- Rajah and Tann LLP (2011 - 2013)
- Wong Partnership (2010 - 2011)
- Tan Peng Chin LLC (2007 - 2010)
- Kelvin Chia Partnership (2004 - 2007)