Maureen Ann is a senior partner in Dentons Rodyk's Real Estate practice.
Maureen's real estate portfolio focuses on work involving land rights including land and building leases. She advises clients on arrangements ranging from the structuring of land holdings, build-and-leaseback or purchase-and-leaseback arrangements, easements, wayleaves, contractual licenses and other land rights issues, long-term leases, subleases and specialty commercial or industrial leases such as cineplexes, family entertainment centers, social clubs, places of worship, factories, warehouses, departmental stores and hypermarts, and she prepares and negotiates contracts for these arrangements. Her clients include developers, landowners, real estate investors and private equity funds and end-users seeking to acquire or divest land or lease land and building for specific purposes.
Maureen also acts for landlords in her project leasing portfolio. This currently includes numerous grade A office buildings in and around the Central Business District (some with retail components ranging from full podiums to ground and/or basement-level shopping and food and beverage outlets), several prime retail malls, a medical center building as well as industrial developments.
Chambers Global Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers has cited Maureen as a leading individual in real estate in its Asia edition every year to date since 2009.
- Beyonics International Pte Ltd: Acting for the multinational company owned by private equity firm ShawKwei & Partners and focused on the manufacture of precision-engineered components, in its Custom-Built-to-Suit & Lease arrangements with by Aims Amp Capital Industrial Real Estate Investment Trust (AA Reit) for Beyonics’ new S$39.4 million facility in Marsiling where Beyonics intend to consolidate its Singapore operations and house its regional headquarters.
- Various clients: Negotiating the following anchor/substantial/negotiated tenant leasing as landlord or tenant solicitor in the various locations: H&M, Virgin Active, Uniqlo, Shell, SGX, Procter & Gamble, Microsoft, Lego, Loro Piana, GV Cineplex, Fitness First, Cold Storage Giant Hypermart, Tangs Department Store.
- RB Capital Group Singapore: Acting in the bulk leasing of 18 units of the medical suites at Farrer Square on a long term basis to a single tenant entity. Farrer Square is a mixed use development comprising a 12-storey tower with 42 medical suites and a 20-storey hotel with 300 rooms. Of the 42 medical suites, 18 of them have been sold via a bulk sale.
- Standard Chartered Bank: Acting for the bank in review & negotiation of its leasing and sub-leasing of office and retail spaces in Singapore for the bank’s use.
- SMRT Alpha Pte Ltd: Acting for the joint venture company, a joint venture between SMRT Corporation's investments arm and NTUC Fairprice's subsidiary Alphaplus, in its bid for the operation and management of the approximately 40,800 sq. m. commercial retail space within the new Singapore Sports Hub.
- Confidential clients: Acting as local solicitor in land law advisory work for private-party bidders in the tender for the Sports Hub development.
- Ascendas (Tuas) Pte Ltd (Developer/Lessor): Acting in its custom-build-and-lease arrangement with Pratt & Whitney for the latter's new 160,000 sq. ft. premises at the Seletar Aerospace Park which will house Pratt & Whitney's production, management and various support functions, as well as its business unit Global Services Engineering - Asia.
- Ascendas (Tuas) Pte Ltd (Developer/Lessor): Acting in its intensely negotiated custom-build-and-lease arrangement with Standard Chartered Bank for Phase 2 of the Bank's expansion plans at Jurong Town Corporation's Changi Business Park. The new facility is a six-storey block of about 154,000 sq. ft. and is customized to house the Bank's non-frontline operations.
- Unilever (Lessee): Acting in its Economic Development Board-brokered S$60 million arrangement for AReit to custom-build its new corporate campus at One North, the first in Singapore, and to lease the new campus for Unilever's long-term use.
- Various clients: Acting in commercial project leasing for landlords; includes the leasing of office buildings in the Central Business District and cutting template leasing documents for landlords of commercial or industrial buildings who require such assistance. Office buildings include CapitaGreen, Metropolis, Paya Lebar Central, Ocean Financial Centre and UOB Plaza.
- Confidential clients: Advising pipeline owners on the mandatory divestment of a network of pipelines on Jurong Island and in mainland Singapore, and on related easement, license and wayleave issues connected with such a divestment.
- Motorola: Acting in a sale and leaseback arrangement of their premises in Ang Mo Kio on Housing Development Board land.
- Ascendas: Acting in a build-to-suit and lease arrangement in relation to an industrial land parcel to build Development Bank of Singapore's AsiaHub at Changi Business Park (Jurong Town Corporation land).
- Confidential clients: Acting as local solicitor in land law advisory work for private party bidders in the tender for the Integrated Resorts at Sentosa.
- A Du Pont subsidiary: Advising on its global restructuring and reorganisation of its assets, including the subdivision and transfers of its land holdings, and easements and wayleave issues arising from such transfers of industrial/chemical plants on industrial land.
- Chambers Asia Pacific: Leading Individual for Real Estate, 2009 - 2016
- Asialaw Profiles: Leading Lawyer, 2012
- Practical Law Company: Recommended lawyer in real estate, 2008
- Author, "Changes To Stamp Duty For Leases," Rodyk Reporter - Property Notes, June 2014
- Co-author, "Singapore Budget 2011 - Changes That Impact Landlords And Tenants," Property Notes, March 2011
- Co-author, "Building Maintenance And Strata Management Act 2004," Rodyk Reporter - Property Notes, June 2005
Activities and Affiliations
Prior and Present Employment
- Senior Partner, Dentons Rodyk (formerly Rodyk & Davidson LLP), 2002 - present
- HelenYeo & Partners, 1998 - 2002
- Rajah & Tann, 1992 - 1998
- Palakrishnan & Partners, 1991 - 1992
- Manjit Darshan & Partners, 1991