Norman Ho is a senior partner in the Dentons Rodyk Real Estate group.
Norman, a leader in corporate real estate work, has extensive experience in a wide spectrum of property related transactions, including investment sales and purchase (by way of share or asset sales), collective sales and project development transactions. He regularly advises property developers, investment funds, statutory boards, property consultants, investors, financial institutions and purchasers in real estate matters.
Norman has acted for owners and investors in commercial, retail, residential and resort developments both within and outside Singapore (including United Kingdom, China, Indonesia and Australia). His projects include the development and financing of major shopping cum office projects and the acquisition of large commercial buildings in Singapore's Central Business District (CBD). He acts for major developers in large residential projects, such as the new CBD Marina Bay Residence. He has acted in the acquisition, sale and leaseback of industrial developments (including multi-story strata buildings at the CBD fringe), involving the Housing Development Board and Jurong Town Corporation.
A leader in collective sale transactions, Norman was involved in one of the earliest collective sales as well as one of the largest of such sales (Farrer Court with 618 units) in Singapore. To date, he has been instructed to act for owners of almost 200 developments and has successfully completed more than 120 of such transactions.
Norman was selected to make representations to the Select Committee, commissioned by the Singapore Parliament, on amendments to the Land Titles (Strata) Act in 1999 to facilitate collective sales. He was again consulted during a review of en bloc legislation and the ensuing amendments to the Act in 2007.
Norman is one of the co-authors of the authoritative publication of "Halsbury's Laws and Precedents - Land" and contributed a chapter on Real Estate for "The Practice of Law" published by LexisNexis.
- TG Development Pte Ltd and Tee Development Pte Ltd: Acting for both companies jointly in the swap of an aggregate of 80 units in two separate developments (20 unsold units out 52 in one and all 60 unsold units in the other) jointly developed by the two companies with the units estimated to be valued at S$165 million and acted for Tee Development Pte Ltd in the related financing of about S$27.6 million. The matter involved making multiple representations to Land Dealings (Approval) Unit on issues pertaining to Qualifying Certificate and for obtaining consents to the change of ownership, as well as to Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore on stamp duty considerations.
- Morgan Stanley Real Estate Investment GmbH: Acting on behalf of its fund Morgan Stanley EuroAsia in the sale of the entire issued and paid-up share capital in KAG 1 Holding SG Pte. Ltd. ("KAG") to Radiant Charm Limited, which is affiliated to the Tang group of companies. KAG is the registered proprietor of 23 strata units comprised in the condominium development known as Draycott 8 located at 8 Draycott Park (the "property"), a prestigious high-end residence located near the popular shopping and entertainment belt of Orchard Road, worth S$149 million.
- SC Aetas Holdings Pte. Ltd., a subsidiary of SIN Capital Group: Acting in the en-bloc acquisition of all 45 commercial and residential strata units in the development known as Thong Sia Building at a total consideration of S$380 million.
- RB Capital Pte Ltd: Acting in the restructuring of the existing conventional corporate loans from Malayan Banking Berhad and successfully restructured/converted into Shariah compliant financing facilities for the purposes of financing the customer's working capital in the management of a business hotel in Clarke Quay, Singapore. This deal is said to be "Hospitality-related assets are not typical in Islamic financing, which makes this the first to be done in a secular country, and also one of the biggest Islamic deals in Singapore.
- Tang Skyline Pte. Ltd.: Acting in its acquisition by tender of a 99 years leasehold residential land parcel with commercial uses at 1st storey at Alexandra View for S$376,880,000.00. Tang Skyline is a company jointly owned by both Tang City Holdings Pte Ltd and Gigantic Global Limited (collectively, "Companies") and both Companies are in turn wholly owned subsidiaries of public companies listed in the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. The development is for residential use and commercial use with around 400 to 450 private residential units and the commercial component will include a supermarket and an infant care/child care centre. We also act for Tang Skeline in the credit facilities of almost S$400 million from a syndicate of lenders for the purposes of, inter alia, financing the acquisition, payment of the development charge and construction of the mixed-use development.
- CIMB Bank Berhad ("Bank") and TG Group of Companies ("Company"): Acting in the refinancing of 2 stacks of residential properties owned by the Company via commodity murabaha term financing facilities allowed under the Shariah laws. The aggregate facility value is in excess of S$105 million was granted by the Bank via commodity murabaha term financing facilities allowed under the Shariah laws. Also assisted in the preparation of template security documents for the Bank in respect of their corporate Islamic Financing secured by real estate properties.
- Pamfleet: Acting for Pamfleet on behalf of Tuckman Limited, a British Virgin Island-incorporated investment vehicle ("Tuckman"), in its acquisition of the entire interest in JSCL Investments Pte. Ltd. ("JSCL") worth S$127.1 million from Reef Lodge Pte Ltd and Ang Ming Chiang. the registered proprietor of the JSCL is the proprietor of Homestay Lodge (the "property"), a workers' dormitory development comprising 10 blocks of about 6,000 beds, worth S$127.1 million. The property is held by JSCL under a leasehold estate from the Housing and Development Board ("HDB"). Tthe acquisition was subject to the approval of HDB, with whom Rodyk liaised closely to obtain such approval. Also acted for JSCL in the secured term loan facilities of up to S$76.26 million granted to JSCL to refinance its existing loans and for the purpose of on-lending to Tuckman to partially finance the acquisition.
- Blackstone Singapore Pte Ltd: Acting for Blackstone Singapore Pte Ltd, on behalf of Amber Investment Holding (Cayman) Limited, in its acquisition from Arch Capital Asian Partners, LP (acting through its general partner, Arch Capital Asian Partners, GP), of the entire issued and paid-up share capital of Highest Reach Investments Limited, which holds 34 strata units comprised in the residential development located at 21 Anderson Road, a high-end residence located near Orchard Road shopping belt worth approximately S$164 million, through its indirectly wholly-owned subsidiaries, Anderson International Properties Pte Ltd and Raffles Legend Properties Pte Ltd (together the Borrowers). Also acted for the Borrowers in the credit facilities of up to S$103 million granted to the Borrowers from a local bank to refinance its existing loans and also assisted with the whitewash procedure required in relation to the refinancing.
- Pristine Islands Investment (Maldives) Private Limited (PI): Acting in the partnership negotiations with ACCOR, the world's leading hotel operator and market leader in Europe. Rodyk led, with assistance from the Maldives counsel, in advising PI, among other matters, in the review and negotiations of the Hotel Consultancy Services Agreement (HCSA) and the Hotel Management Agreement (HMA) for the two international beach resorts under the ACCOR brand standards of "Pullman" and "Mercure".
- HL Bank: Acting in the acquisition from National Australia Bank Limited of a portfolio of property and term loans granted to medical practitioners and medical and dental clinics in Singapore (“Portfolio”). The Portfolio was transferred pursuant to Section 55C of the Banking Act and required the approval by the Monetary Authority of Singapore and the High Court.
- SEB Asset Management (part of the Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken Group): Acting in its acquisition from CBRE Global Investors Asia Holdings BV of its entire interest in Yongjin Holdings Pte Ltd, the registered proprietor of Anson House, a 13-storey office and commercial building in Singapore's Central Business District, worth S$172 million. Also acted for the purchaser in the credit facilities of up to S$88.75 million taken by Yongjin Holdings Pte Ltd from a Singapore branch of a foreign bank to refinance its existing loans and also assisted with the whitewash procedure required in relation to the refinancing.
- RB Capital Group: Acting in the acquisition of Gallery Hotel at 1 Nanson Road Singapore for S$232.5 million, which translates to just over S$1 million per room.
- Exklusiv Resorts Pte Ltd: Acting in the sale to Oxley Gem Pte Ltd (Purchaser), the subsidiary of listed company Oxley Holdings, of the leasehold estate for a term of 103 years in the property known as 30 Stevens Road, Singapore (Property) - the location of the Pines club - for a consideration of S$318 million. Funds for the purchase comprised both bank borrowings as well as S$100 million 6% bonds due 2015 issued by the Purchaser to the Vendor and guaranteed by Oxley Holdings. Also advised the Vendor on issues relating to the contractual rights of club members, the relevant notices to be issued to members and the suspension of the club membership in view of the sale and redevelopment of the property and closure of the Pines club.
- LVND Investments Pte Ltd (formerly known as LVND Development Pte Ltd): Acting in the purchase of Hotel Windsor located at 401 Macpherson Road from Ho Bee Developments Pte Ltd (Ho Bee), a subsidiary of Ho Bee Investment Ltd, for the purchase consideration of S$163 million. This deal also involved the leaseback of the hotel component to Ho Bee, the entry into a management agreement with Ho Bee for the provision of management services for the commercial retail space of the property, and financing from United Overseas Bank Limited. Rodyk was involved in the drafting, negotiations, amendments and finalisation of these agreements as well. Subsequently also involved in acting on the Hotel Consultancy Services Agreement and Hotel Management Agreement with AAPC Singapore Pte Ltd. (AAPC), a subsidiary of Accor Asia SA, to, among other things, provide hotel consultancy and management services for the new hotel development known as Ibis Styles Singapore on Macpherson.
- Lion City Hotel Properties Pte Ltd: Acting in the sale of the Lion City Hotel and the adjoining former Hollywood Theatre site for S$313 million. The unit land price for the Tanjong Katong-Geylang Road area properties, with a total freehold land area of 147,909 sq ft, works out to S$779 psf of potential gross floor area. Based on the current allowable development options, the property may be redeveloped into a commercial cum residential complex.
- Morgan Stanley: Acting in the divestment of the whole of its indirect interest in an investment holding company which held four dormitories in Jalan Papan, Woodlands, Kian Teck and Tampines in Singapore. The transaction price for the divestment, which included the sale also of the remaining minority interests, was in the region of about S$380 million.
- Owners of Farrer Court: Acting in the sale of the 618-unit development to Morganite Pte Ltd, a consortium comprising CapitaLand, Hotel Properties and Wachovia Development Corporation, for S$1.3388 billion. Today this remains Singapore's largest collective sale transaction.
- SEB Asset Management (German pension fund manager): Acting, in its acquisition of SIA Building at 77 Robinson Road for S$526 million.
- NGO Leadership & Excellence Award for Social Consciousness (6th Asia Best CSR Practice Awards), 2016
- Asialaw: Recognized as a Market Leading Lawyer for Construction and Real Estate, 2011, 2012, 2014 - 2016
- Best Lawyers: Recognized in the area of Real Estate in Singapore, 2014, 2015
- Chambers Asia-Pacific: Recognized as a Leading Individual for Real Estate, 2008 - 2016
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific: Recommended Lawyer for Real Estate and Construction, 2010 - 2012, 2015
- Lawyer Monthly: Recognized as a Leading Lawyer in the area of Real Estate, 2011
- Co-author, "Intellectual Property As Security And The IP Financing Scheme In Singapore," Rodyk Reporter - Business Bulletin, September 2014
- Co-author, "Revised Property Loan Rules - Guarantee No More," Property Notes, July 2013
- Author, "The Monetary Authority Of Singapore Restricts Loan Tenure For Residential Properties," Rodyk Reporter - Property Notes, December 2012
- Author, "Real Estate - Tangible. Solid. Beautiful. Artistic." The Practice of Law, United Kingdom: Lexis Nexis, 2011
- Co-author, "Cooling The Property Market - 13 January 2011," Rodyk Reporter - Property Notes, January 2011
- Co-author, "Stricter Ownership Of Restricted Residential Properties," Rodyk Reporter - Property Notes, December 2010
- Co-author, "Proposed Amendments To Land Titles (Strata) Act - 26 April 2010," Rodyk Reporter - Property Notes, April 2010
- Co-author, "Further Measures To Cool Property Markets - 20 February 2010," Rodyk Reporter - Property Notes, March 2010
- Author, "The Evolving Face Of Real Estate Practice," Inter Se, Jan - Jun 2010 issue
- Co-author, "Relevance Of Frequency Of Sales And Duration Of Ownership In Taxation Of Property Gains," Rodyk Reporter - Property Notes, September 2009
- Co-author, "Landmark Court Of Appeal Decision On Right Of Way," Rodyk Reporter - Litigation Brief, September 2009
- Author, "New Measures By Government To Check Property Market," Property Notes, September 2009
- Co-author, "Project Account Withdrawals - The Purposive Interpretation," Rodyk Reporter - Property Notes, March 2009
- Author, "Snapshot Of Singapore Budget 2009 Affecting Developers' Projects," Rodyk Reporter - Property Notes, March 2009
- Co-author, "New Building Guidelines - Attaining The Green Mark," Rodyk Reporter - Property Notes, December 2008
- Author, "Amendments To The Land Titles (Strata) Act," Rodyk Reporter - Property Notes, September 2007
- Author, interview (2007) on "Amendments to the Land Titles (Strata) Act in 2007," Channel NewsAsia, Singapore
- Co-author, "Withdrawal Of Concession For Deferment Of Payment Of Stamp Duty," Rodyk Reporter - Property Notes, March 2007
- Author, "Registration Of Title - The Armour Of Indefeasibility," Rodyk Reporter - Property Notes, December 2006
- Co-author, "Creation Of Fixed Charges Over Book Debts," Rodyk Reporter - Property Notes, September 2005
- Author, Interview (2003) on "Offshore Trust and Wealth Management," NewsRadio 93.8 FM, Singapore
- Author, Halsbury's Laws of Singapore - Land, vol. 14 2001 ed. (Butterworths Asia, 2001)
- Author, interview (1999) on "Collective Sale in Singapore in 1999," Channel NewsAsia, Singapore
Activities and Affiliations
- Honorary Legal Adviser, Real Estate Developers' Association of Singapore
- Notary Public and Commissioner for Oaths, 1996 - 2008
- President and Legal Advisor, Bone Marrow Donor Program (Registered Charity)
- Consultant, Singapore Academy of Law (Stakeholding Rules)
- Legal Advisor, Singapore Cancer Centre
- Member, Conveyancing Practice and Rulings Committee, The Law Society of Singapore
- Member and Legal Advisor, Bone Marrow Donor Program
- Member and Legal Advisor, DonorWeb (under the auspices of The Singapore Red Cross)
- Consultant, Singapore Academy of Law
- Singapore Institute of Architects Business Talk - Collective Sales in Singapore, November 4, 2016
- A study in the acquisition of a development project and the due diligence exercise, July 29, 2016
- Share Sale And Purchase Of Residential Projects - Practical And Legal Issues, January 29, 2016
- REITs - Removal of Stamp Duty Remission - Acquisition Through Share Deals & Alternatives Structuring Opportunities, May 13, 2015
- REITs - Removal of Stamp Duty Remission - Acquisition Through Share Deals & Alternatives Structuring Opportunities, May 11, 2015
- Practical Issues Associated With Bulk Purchase And Sale Of Singapore Residential Properties, August 21, 2014
- Practical Issues Associated With Bulk Purchase And Sale Of Singapore Residential Properties, August 15, 2014
- Singapore Property Seminar - Legal Issues And Market Updates, June 24, 2014
- Commercial Real Estate Investment: Legal and Practical Issues, November 22, 2013
- Financial Divorce For Better Management, July 20, 2013
- Recent Changes To MAS Notice 632 And Implications For Banks & Financial Institutions, May 15, 2013
- Recent Changes To MAS Notice 632 And Implications For Banks & Financial Institutions, April 29, 2013
- Current Issues Of Practical Conveyancing And Real Estate Transactions, February 24, 2012
- Rodyk & Davidson LLP [now Dentons Rodyk] 150th Anniversary Celebrations Client Seminars: Developing & Investing In Singapore Real Estate 2011, September 30, 2011
- Current Issues Of Practical Conveyancing And Real Estate Transactions, September 23, 2011
- Responsibilities & Liabilities Of Sale Committee, June 29, 2011
- Current Issues Of Practical Conveyancing And Real Estate Transactions, June 17, 2011
- Opportunities Of Foreign Investment Of Real Property in Singapore, October 6, 2010
- Capitalising On New Opportunities In Singapore Real Estate Market, March 23, 2010
- Collective Sales In Singapore, March 17, 2010
- Real Estate Mortgage Process, February 25, 2009
- Legal Aspects Of The Collective Sale Process, February 16, 2009
- REDAS Members Networking Session, November 3, 2008
- Stamping Issue For En Bloc Purchase & Interest Absorption Scheme, April 18, 2008
- Latest Updates On En Bloc Sale Legislation: Impacts & Implications, November 27, 2007
- Law Society Arbitration Scheme & Recent Changes In En Bloc Legislation, October 30, 2007
- En Bloc Sales: New Legislation For Singapore En Bloc Phenomenon, September 20, 2007
- The Legislation Governing En Bloc Sales: An Update & Commentary, August 30, 2007
- The Owner Developer, July 5, 2006
- Residential Property (Amendment) Bill, March 2, 2006
Prior and Present Employment
- Senior Partner - Dentons Rodyk (formerly Rodyk & Davidson LLP) (1981 - present)