Paul Wong is a partner in our Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice and Arbitration practice.
Paul's practice includes construction, banking, insolvency and general commercial litigation. He has acted as counsel in numerous construction disputes, both in arbitration and litigation, with a specific emphasis on engineering related issues. Notably, he was one of the counsel acting for the main contractor of Circle Line Contract C824, the main potential defendant in the inquiry into the collapse of Singapore's Nicoll Highway on April 20, 2004. His clients include developers, quantity surveyors, architects, contractors and subcontractors.
Apart from dispute resolution, Paul advises his clients on the drafting of construction related transactions, including numerous forms of construction contracts. He has acted for main contractors in major infrastructure projects in Singapore both in an advisory role and also as counsel. Construction-related cases Paul has worked on include the MRT Circle Line contracts, the Deep Tunnel Sewerage System contracts, the Marina Barrage contracts and Marina South District Cooling Plant contracts. Paul has also acted as Singapore law counsel for public-private partnership (PPP) projects in Singapore, including the SMU Hostels project, the MOE Schools project, the NUS University Town project , Changi NEWater project and the Sports Hub project.
Paul's banking and insolvency experience includes recovery work with specific emphasis on facilities secured by land and guarantees, advising liquidators and receivers, and bankruptcy and liquidation cases. Paul has acted in shareholder disputes, insurance claims (general including all risks policies and professional indemnity), employee-employer disputes (including wrongful dismissal cases), employee fraud cases, international contract claims and sale of goods claims.
- Panasonic: Acting in the Singapore High Court in a claim by a supplier for breach of confidentiality provisions and inducement of breach of contract for unspecified damages and a permanent injunction.
- SMRT Alpha Pte Ltd: Acting in the bid for the operation and management of the approximately 40,800 sq m commercial retail space within the new Singapore Sports Hub.
- MRT Circle Line main contractor: Acting against civil works subcontractor in arbitration for breach of subcontract and termination of the subcontract.
- Singapore Ministry of Education: Acting as the Singaporean legal counsel for client, which launched a PPP project for the construction, operation and maintenance of five schools using the PPP procurement method. The capital expenditure is expected to be in excess of S$50 million.
- German fund Commerz Grundbesitz Invesmentgesellschaft (CGI), now known as CommerzReal: Acting in connection with a complex real estate and construction deal that involved the acquisition of 78 Shenton Way for approximately S$650 million.
- Japan Land Limited: Acting in the financing, development and construction of the Jurong Data Centre. The estimated project value for this transaction is S$400 million.
- Confidential client: Acting in the inquiry into the Nicoll Highway collapse due to collapse of temporary works in part of the MRT Circle Line.
- Meinhardt International Group entities: Acting in the Singapore High Court in a claim by the developers/owners of a prominent building in Singapore for defects in the granite external facade of the building worth an estimated S$23 million.
- Major US IT MNC: Acting against its Indian resellers in a Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC) arbitration for claims in excess of US$15million.
- A major US technology MNC: Acting in an arbitration matter involving a total claim of more than US$6.1 million accruing from monies owed under an agreement between the Claimants and the Respondent.
- A major US chemical industry MNC: Acting in a claim against its Japanese contractor for process defects in its Singapore plant. The claim was in excess of US$20 million. Arbitration under UNCITRAL rules. Claim was settled shortly after proceedings were commenced.
- Confidential client: Acting in an international arbitration concerning an online gaming operating licence agreement.
- Confidential client: Acting for Indian developer in application to the Singapore High Court for interim injunctive relief in support of ad-hoc international arbitration seated in Singapore in relation to a mining project in India.
- Confidential client: Advising on the construction issues arising from the proposed West Coast Highway project in Malaysia.
- Confidential client: Acting in an international arbitration between a Japanese main contractor and a Malaysian/Korean subcontractor concerning subcontract for supply of concrete tunnel segments.
- German respondent: Acting in connection with in application by Korean applicant to set aside an SIAC international arbitration award pursuant to the provisions of the Model Law and the International Arbitration Act.
- Best Lawyers: Recognized for Construction in Singapore, 2014, 2015
- Expert Guides: Nominated to appear in the second edition of the Guide to the World's Leading Construction Lawyers, 2013
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific: Recommended Lawyer for Dispute Resolution, 2015, 2016
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific: Recommended lawyer for International Arbitration, 2009/2010
- Who's Who Legal: Recognized in the Construction chapter of Who's Who Legal: Singapore, 2007, 2008
- Co-author, "Singapore Court Of Appeal Clarifies That Minority Oppression Claims Are Arbitrable,"Arbitration Review, December, 2015
- Author, "Stay Of Proceedings Under The International Arbitration Act - Resolving The Dispute On Existence Of The Arbitration Agreement," Arbitration Update, October, 2015
- Author, "The Enforceability Of Interim Arbitral Awards Under FIDIC Contracts," Arbitration Update, September, 2015
- Author, "Minority oppression claims and arbitration - can these seat together comfortably - Maybe?," March, 2015
- Author, "Final Payments In Revised REDAS D&B Form: A Contravention Of The SOP Act?," Rodyk Reporter - Litigation Brief, June, 2008
- Author, "The Sand Ban And Construction Contracts," Rodyk Reporter - Litigation Brief, June, 2007
Activities and Affiliations
- Why Does BIM Need New Contract Clauses And New Procurement Models?, November 17, 2015
- Recent Legal Developments And Current Perspective On Legal Issues In The Use Of BIM, September 21, 2015
- Tort Law In Property Development And Construction - Duties Imposed Versus Duties Assumed, April 18, 2015
- The Incorporation of BIM Particular Conditions As A Contract Document In The Respective Agreements, February 3, 2015
- Why Arbitrate, March 10, 2014
- Dispute Resolution in Construction Projects - What's Available and What Works, November 26, 2013
- The Rise Of The Machine - BIM And Its Legal Implications, September 11, 2013
- The Use Of BIM - A Discussion On Legal And Contractual Issues, May 30, 2013
- If You Choose To Arbitrate, What Must You Write In Your Contracts?, January 9, 2013
- Update On The Security Of Payments Act And BIM Law, December 15, 2012
- Understanding The Rights And Obligations Of Owners And Design-Builders Upon Termination Of Contract, October 23, 2012
- Joint Presentation to Mongolian Businesses - Singapore Business Federation Business Mission to Mongolia, July 31, 2012
- Legal Framework And Singapore BIM Particular Conditions, May 17, 2012
- Building Information Modelling - The Legal Issues, September 30, 2011
- Latest Developments In SOP Act Adjudications And Other Recent Developments In Construction Law, July 23, 2011
- A Hands-On Workshop on Drafting An Arbitration Clause, April 13, 2011
- Rodyk 150th Anniversary Celebrations Client Seminars: Building, Construction & Engineering, April 1, 2011
- Mediation and ADR in Banking & Finance Disputes, February 21, 2011
- Directors' Duties & Liabilities, November 16, 2010
- International Arbitration For The IHC - More Than Just Having An Arbitration Clause, May 25, 2010
- D&B: Does It Mean Dump And Bully!, March 27, 2010
- Highlights Of Developments In Construction And Property Law in 2009 - It Affects Everyone, January 30, 2010
- Practical Experience With Engineering Experts - War Stories From The Temporary Earth Retaining Structures, October 28, 2009
- The Legal Considerations, July 14, 2009
- Arbitration & International Dispute Resolution (In House Congress, Jakarta), May 26, 2009
- Crossing The Line: In House Counsel And Privilege, June 20, 2008
- Updated Of Recent Case Law Developments In Singapore, January 25, 2008
- Sex, Lies And The CISG, October 18, 2007
- Exclusion And Limitation Of Liability In Construction Contracts, October 18, 2007
- Regional Arbitration Conference 2007, June 22, 2007
- Joint Venture Agreements And Strategies To Ensure Their Success, May 23, 2007
- Risk Management In Construction Contracts, May 18, 2007
- Understanding The Legal Issues In Extension Of Time And Variations, May 5, 2007
- Tea @ Rodyk: Pupillage & Internship Programme, March 29, 2007
- Collective Tenders In Construction Projects: The Legal Dos And Don'ts, March 2, 2007
- Collaborative Tendering And Delay: The Basics, November 29, 2006
- Arbitrator, Arbitration Scheme Panel of Arbitrators, The Law Society of Singapore
- Fellow, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Member, Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators
- Member, Society of Construction Law
- The Law Society of Singapore
Prior and Present Employment
- Senior partner, Dentons Rodyk (formerly Rodyk & Davidson LLP), 2002–present
- HelenYeo & Partners, 1998–2002
- Khattar Wong & Partners, 1997–1998
- HelenYeo & Partners, 1993–1997
- Colin Ng & Partners, 1992–1993