Ray Chiang is a Partner in the Dentons Rodyk Corporate group. Ray's main areas of practice include corporate and commercial law, mergers and acquisitions and employment law.
Ray handles a wide range of domestic and cross-border transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, investments, divestitures, joint ventures and venture capital.
Ray also handles a wide range of corporate and commercial work. He provides regulatory and commercial law advice to various companies and multinational corporations across a wide range of industries, including insurance, energy, manufacturing, telecommunications, e-commerce and electronics industries. The work he has done in these areas include corporate restructuring, capital maintenance issues, share buyback exercises, statutory amalgamations, financial assistance and general commercial issues relating to distributorships and sale of goods.
Ray's experience includes a stint with a Fortune 500 multinational corporation in the communications industry. During this stint, he handled procurement and sales contracts, tenders, policy review and implementation and other commercial issues.
In his employment practice, Ray has done a wide range of work including the drafting of senior executive employment contracts, drafting and reviewing of employment handbooks, assisting with negotiations with trade unions and advising on industrial relations laws in Singapore, advising on employment laws and issues including restraint of trade, retrenchment and retrenchment benefits, termination of employment, summary dismissal, suspensions and garden leave, and transfer of employment in transfers of business.
- Renewable Energy Corporation: Acting for the Norwegian-listed solar company in its S$6 billion investment in Singapore. The investment included the construction of a solar manufacturing plant in Tuas, which is one of the largest in the world.
- Malayan Banking Berhad: Acting for in US$1.5 billion acquisition to secure a controlling stake in PT Bank Internasional Indonesia Tbk.
- Subsidiary of Charter plc: Acting in its acquisition of a Singapore company with a manufacturing presence in Singapore and China.
- Webjet Ltd: Acting as Singapore counsel in its acquisition of Zuji, a premier online travel agency in the region.
- Tiger Global: Acting for the US investment company in its investment in Wego, a Singapore-based internet travel search engine company.
- Raffles Education Corporation: Acting for the largest private education group in Asia-Pacific, on its joint venture with a listed Indian company to set up private education institutions in India.
- Astaro AG: Acting for the German network infrastructure security systems company on a joint venture with a Singapore company that would focus on the Asia-Pacific markets.
- Japanese chemical company: Advising on its chemical supply from a multinational oil company and large-scale steam supply arrangements from an energy company.
- Co-author, "Employer Obligations In The Amendments To The Employment Act," Rodyk Reporter - Business Bulletin, October 2015
- Author, "Extended Scope Of Union Representation For Executives," Rodyk Reporter - Business Bulletin, April 2015
Activities and Affiliations
- Common Issues under Singapore Employment Law, including Non-Compete issues, March 11, 2016
- SBF Corporate Master Class - Singapore Law: Recent developments that may affect your organisation, December 20, 2013
- Member, The Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
Prior and Present Employment
- Partner, Dentons Rodyk (formerly Rodyk & Davidson LLP), 2007 - present