Rodney Keong is a Senior Partner in Dentons Rodyk's Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice group.
Rodney's area of practice is in commercial litigation, arbitration and mediation. He has particular skills and knowledge in a wide range of commercial cases, from construction and engineering, corporate and investment disputes, to international trade, banking and insolvency, and corporate finance cases. He is also experienced in employment, restraint of trade, negligence, public liability insurance and defamation cases, as well as general contractual disputes. He advises and represents clients through all stages of the dispute resolution process.
In construction and engineering disputes, he has represented developers, main and specialist contractors, and subcontractors, as well as building owners and management corporations. In international trade disputes he has acted for both buyers as well as sellers in various types of international sale contracts.
Rodney has acted for and advised leading international trading houses in relation to contracts for the international sale of goods.
He has conducted seminars and talks for MNCs, banks and financial institutions, Singapore Business Federation, Real Estate Developers' Association of Singapore, Singapore Corporate Counsel Association, Tokyo Bar Association, as well as for the construction industry on arbitration, litigation, contract, construction and banking and property law topics.
- Boustead Projects Pte Ltd: Acting in the final dismissal of multi-million dollar action in negligence brought by the management corporation of an industrial building involving allegations of defective boundaries. This case confirmed that in latent building defects cases involving "pure economic loss," the cause of action in negligence accrues, and the ordinary six-year limitation period starts to run, when the building defect first occurs, and not when the plaintiff discovers or could have discovered the defect or when the plaintiff suffers the "pure economic loss."
- MCST: Acting against RSP Architects Planners & Engineers in a landmark professional negligence case that established building consultants owed a duty of care to management corporations to guard against "pure economic loss."
- RSP Architects Planners & Engineers: Acting in a landmark professional negligence case that established building consultants owed a duty of care to management corporations to guard against "pure economic loss."
- Foreign professional liquidators: Acting in a landmark and successful High Court application to recognize their status and powers, thus enabling the successful recovery of assets, documents and information from China Sun Bio-Chem Technology Group Limited, a foreign but unregistered company listed in Singapore.
- Confidential client: Acting for a listed builder in an arbitration involving complex claims and counterclaims exceeding S$22 million in total arising from the construction of a major warehouse project. Advising/acting for the same client in related but separate arbitrations involving multi-million dollar third-party claims against its subcontractors.
- Confidential client: Advising a major infrastructure builder in disputes with a leading German technology MNC involving the installation of building and security management and fire protection systems for a major warehouse project, including successfully negotiating settlement.
- Confidential client: Acting successfully for a specialist water plant builder in SIAC arbitration claims against its main subcontractor arising from the construction of a NEWater Plant.
- Confidential client: Acting for international investment funds associated with an international investment bank in an ICC arbitration arising from a US$70 million Indonesian investment, including successfully obtaining and enforcing an ancillary worldwide Mareva injunction.
- Confidential client: Acting for a leading marine and oil and gas industry engineering contractor in a High Court claim against its main contractor arising from an engineering contract for main elements of a well-head platform.
- Confidential client: Acting for a major property developer/main contractor and related parties in High Court claims against a leading ready-mixed concrete supplier in respect of disputes relating to the 2007 Indonesian sand ban.
- Confidential client: Acting for a Malaysian main contractor in a High Court claim arising from the construction of the Brunei Royal Family's Kuala Lumpur official residence.
- Confidential client: Acting for a property developer in a successful High Court suit on a performance bond given by an insurer, including successfully opposing an application for an injunction restraining a call on the bond.
- Confidential client: Acting for a senior consultant in a High Court claim against the Singapore subsidiary of a leading offshore deepwater drilling MNC for wrongful dismissal.
- Confidential client: Acting for a Japanese listed corporation in an SIAC arbitration claim against a Singapore SME for breach of a licensing agreement for the manufacturer and export of chemicals.
- Confidential client: Acting for a Singapore subsidiary of a leading European financial services group in successfully defending against a High Court suit brought by a former executive for wrongful termination, involving allegations of bias, and failure to comply with regulatory rules and practices governing financial transactions and institutions.
- Confidential client: Acting for a former senior employee of a business certification company and related parties, in a High Court suit brought by the former employer involving allegations of breach of director's and employee's fiduciary duties, breach of confidentiality and misuse of confidential information, breach of trust, conspiracy to injure, procurement of breach of contract, and restraint of trade, including successfully negotiating an amicable settlement.
- Asialaw Profiles: Leading Individual for Dispute Resolution, 2012
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific: Recommended lawyer for Restructuring and Insolvency, 2012
- Co-author, "Penalty Clauses: The Singapore Position VS The UKSC's Fine-tuned Doctrine," Litigation Brief, December 2015
- Co-author, Singapore Chapter, The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Litigation & Dispute Resolution 2011, 4th ed.
- Co-author, "Recognition Of Foreign Liquidators Of Unregistered Foreign Companies In Singapore," Corporate Rescue and Insolvency, Lexis Nexis, June 2011
- Co-author, "Foreign Liquidators Of Unregistered Foreign Companies," Rodyk Reporter, March 2011
- Co-author, Singapore Chapter, The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Litigation & Dispute Resolution 2010, 3rd ed., Global Legal Group, 2010
- Author, "Selling Or Supplying Unsafe Food: The Legal Issues," Rodyk Reporter, December 2008
- Author, "Swift Fortune Ltd v Magnifica Marine SA: is Mareva relief available in Singapore in aid of foreign arbitration?," Arbitration Newsletter, October 2007
- Author, "Case Update: Swift Fortune Ltd v Magnifica Marine SA - Court's Powers Under IAA Do Not Extend to Foreign Arbitrations," Rodyk Reporter, March 2007
- Co-author, "Continuing Improvements In Occupational Safety And Health In Singapore," Rodyk Reporter, June 2006
Activities and Affiliations
- Introduction to The Singapore International Commercial Court, April 29, 2015 (Singapore Business Federation)
- Introduction to The Singapore International Commercial Court, March 4, 2015 (Tokyo Bar Association)
- Why Arbitrate, March 10, 2014 (Singapore Business Federation)
- Introducing Arbitration, Corruption and Competition - the Law in Singapore, November 27, 2013
- Latest Developments In SOP Act Adjudications And Other Recent Developments In Construction Law, July 23, 2011
- Rodyk & Davidson LLP [now Dentons Rodyk] 150th Anniversary Celebrations Client Seminars: Building, Construction & Engineering, April 1, 2011
- Lunchtime Talk For Clients On Recent Banking Issues, August 13, 2007
- Recent Case Law Developments, May 11, 2007
- Limiting Your Liability: Exclusion Clauses - Statute Law, April 19, 2007
- Injunctive Relief In International Arbitrations, March 28, 2007
- Lunchtime Talk For Clients On Recent Banking Issues, March 26, 2007
- Fraud And Enforcement Of Bank Securities: A Practical Guide, February 28, 2007
- Indemnity Liability In Contracts - Limiting Your Liability: Exclusion Clauses, January 26, 2007
- Indemnity Liability In Contracts - Limiting Your Liability: Exclusion Clauses, January 12, 2007
- Limiting your Liability - Exclusion Clauses, December 15, 2006
- Arbitrator in commercial disputes including construction and engineering and investment disputes, Singapore International Arbitration Centre
- Appointed by the Chief Justice onto the Inquiry Panel, 2015.
Prior and Present Employment
- Senior Partner, Dentons Rodyk (formerly Rodyk & Davidson LLP), 2002 - present
- Helen Yeo & Partners, 2001 - 2002
- Bih Li & Lee, 1997 - 2001
- Rajah & Tann, 1998