Chua Shang Chai is a Partner in the Dentons Rodyk Real Estate group.
Shang Chai graduated from the National University of Singapore in 2008. He was admitted as Advocate and Solicitor in Singapore in 2009.
In early 2010, he joined the real estate department where he continued to pursue and hone his specialization in the real estate legal practice. Since then, Shang Chai has been involved in a multitude of real estate work including collective sales, purchase, mortgage financing and development work for developers, and real estate financing work.
- Owners of Amber Glades: Acting in the collective sale of the development to Far East Organization for S$118.12 million or S$1,066 psf ppr inclusive of about S$4 million in development charges. Amber Glades has a freehold land area of 40,917 sq. ft. and is zoned for residential use with a 2.8 plot ratio. The sale is subject to the approval of the Strata Titles Board/High Court.
- Majority owners of Chong Kim Apartment: Acting in the collective sale of the development to a subsidiary of World Class Land for S$41.1 million. The freehold residential development was sold in a tender exercise. The sale is subject to approval from Strata Titles Board.
- Subsidiary of Tuan Sing Limited: Acting for a wholly owned subsidiary of listed developer Tuan Sing Limited in their successful tender acquisition of Serene House, off Cluny Park Road, for a price of S$99.1 million. This is a collective purchase of the 24-unit Serene House, which is subject to the approval of the Strata Titles Board. Together with an adjoining plot of state land which the buyer intends to acquire, the proposed site should be around 49,000 sq. ft. Tuan Sing's offer exceeded that of six other parties.
- Morgan Stanley: Acting on the real estate aspects of the transaction in the divestment of the whole of its indirect interest in an investment holding company which held four dormitories in Jalan Papan, Woodlands, Kian Teck and Tampines in Singapore. The transaction price for the divestment, which included the sale also of the remaining minority interests, was in the region of about S$380 million.
- Majority owners of Paramount Hotel & Shopping Centre (PHSC): Acting in the collective sale of PHSC to Far East Organization's Orchard Mall Pte Ltd for S$214 million, making this the largest collective sale of 2010, both in terms of the sale quantum and development size. The sale of this mixed hotel and retail development is subject to the approval of the Strata Titles Board and the High Court. When completed, this will be the first-ever collective sale in Singapore involving a hotel component.
- Co-author, "Government Acts To Cool The Residential Property Market," Rodyk Reporter - Property Notes, August 2010
Activities and Affiliations
- Financial Divorce for Better Management, July 21, 2013
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
Prior and Present Employment
- Partner, Dentons Rodyk (formerly Rodyk & Davidson LLP), 2010 – present
- Singapore Land Authority, 2009