S Sivanesan is a senior partner in Dentons Rodyk's Corporate practice. Sivanesan's primary areas of practice include mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganisations and restructurings, venture capital and investment funds and corporate finance. He has advised several fund managers, venture capital funds, start-ups and companies on investment deals. He has extensive experience in joint ventures and international transactions. He has advised on local as well as cross border joint ventures (JVs), from the establishment to the termination of JVs.
Sivanesan's international work includes cross-border transactions, mergers and acquisitions, VC/PE investment deals in South East Asia, India, China, Europe, Australia and USA. He has advised local and foreign clients on establishing businesses in Singapore and the region, foreign direct investment, liaising with regional counsel and establishing effective corporate structures for regional operations. He is widely regarded as an authority on corporate governance and venture capital.
Sivanesan is a past chairman of the Pacific Rim Advisory Council, which is an association of 32 top tier independent law firms in more than 40 major international cities.
Sivanesan has addressed regional and international business leaders at conferences and seminars, on topics relating to corporate governance, international mergers and acquisitions, venture capital, cross border investments and directors duties. He is the co-author of "Corporate Governance in Singapore", published in the IFLR Guide to Corporate Governance 2001, a co-author of the chapter on Corporate Governance in Woon's Corporation Law (Issue 30) published by LexisNexis, and the Chairman of the Corporate Governance Committee of the Singapore Investors Association of Singapore (SIAS).
- Tolaram Group ("TG") and Tolaram Africa ("TA"), a subsidiary of TG: Advising on a long-term partnership agreement between TA and leading food company Kellogg Company ("KC") to 1) create a joint venture between TA and KC to develop snacks and breakfast foods for the West African market and 2) acquire 50% in the Multipro Group, a subsidiary of TG providing premier sales and distribution services in Nigeria and Ghana, for US$450 million (S$634 million). The partnership also provides KC the right to acquire a stake in Tolaram Africa Foods Pte Ltd at a later stage for an amount to be determined at the time of the exercise of the right. This deal was a finalist for M&A Deal of the Year for the Asian Legal Business South East Asia Law Awards 2016.
- BitX Pte Ltd and its founders: Advising in a US$4 million Series A investment by PayU, a subsidiary of media and internet powerhouse Naspers, and Digital Currency Group. The company is currently headquartered in Singapore with additional offices in Indonesia and South Africa. BitX has been instrumental in the adoption of digital currency in emerging markets. The company intends to use the investment monies to further accelerate its growth and extend its footprint to more markets.
- Jani Antero Rautiainen and Stephen Nicholas Melhuish (Founders) and the minority shareholders: Advising on the sale of certain existing shares and investment in PropertyGuru Pte Ltd for an aggregate consideration of S$175 million from a "strategic consortium" of three investors. The consortium comprises Indonesian media company PT Emtek, venture capital firm Square Peg Capital, and private equity firm TPG.
- Yew Seng Heng Development Pte Ltd: Acting in the acquisition of 100% of the issued share capital of QF10 Pte Ltd, owner of certain industrial units, from QF Properties Pte Ltd, a subsidiary of EH Property & Investments Pte Ltd, which is in turn a 51%-owned subsidiary of Enviro-Hub Holdings Ltd.
- Rockwell Collins Inc: Acting in its purchase of 100% of the issued share capital of Pacific Avionics Pte Ltd, a company specialising in technologies used for wireless information distribution, including inflight entertainment and connectivity.
- The corporate aspects for HSE Holdings Pte Ltd (HSE): Acting in acquisition from Mauritius fund Pallas 28 Investments Limited, of its entire interest in Emerald Land Pte Ltd (Emerald), developer of the condominium development 111 Emerald Hill, a high-end residence located near Orchard Road shopping belt. This transaction is unique and is believed to be the first in Singapore with approval for the share sale of a developer company holding a Qualifying Certificate to an unrelated Singapore party and for the developer company to obtain a Clearance Certificate under the Residential Property Act.
- The Energy Market Authority of Singapore: Acting in its sale of 51% of the issued share capital of Energy Market Company (EMC) to Singapore Exchange Ltd's (SGX) wholly-owned subsidiary, Asian Gateway Investments Pte Ltd, making EMC a wholly-owned subsidiary of SGX. The consideration for the sale and purchase of the shares was S$23 million.
- Boon Lay Raja Restaurant Pte Ltd: Acting on the corporate aspects relating to the sale of the restaurant for not less than S$15 million.
- Vertex Asia Fund (Singapore) Pte Ltd: Acting in investment in Patsnap Pte Ltd which runs a global patent search and analysis platform, worth S$4.5 million.
- Redmart: Assisting in raising of S$5.4 million bridge round from various investors including Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin, PropertyGuru founders Steve Melhuish and Jani Rautianen, JFDI co-founder Meng Weng Wong, restaurateur Wee Teng Wen, and Lion Rock Capital. The investment, a precursor to a larger Series B round within five months, will be spent on fulfilment technology and infrastructure.
- Singapore-based Reebonz: Acting in its acquisition of the business of Clout Shoppe, SingPost's online e-commerce platform dealing in luxury goods. The acquisition is strategic as it provides another channel for Reebonz's online offerings and allows for more collaboration between Reebonz and SingPost to explore strategic partnerships in areas of e-fulfilment and logistics.
- Private equity firm NPM Capital NV: Acting as Singapore counsel in its acquisition of a majority stake in Dieseko Group BV, manufacturer of hydraulic vibratory foundation equipment.
- Singapore Cruise Centre Pte Ltd: Acting in SATS Airport Services Pte Ltd and SATS-Creuers Cruise Services Pte Ltd's purchase of Singapore Cruise Centre Pte Ltd from Temasek Holdings' wholly-owned subsidiary worth S$110 million.
- Singapore-based Reebonz, one of the region's fastest growing luxury online retailers, its founder and its existing shareholders: Acting in a S$50 million investment which also included a S$20 million investment by new lead investor, multimedia group MediaCorp, in Reebonz's latest round of fundraising.
- Vertex Asia Fund Pte Ltd: Acting in its investment in Clearbridge Biomedics worth S$9 million.
- Asia IP Experts: Recognised as a Leading Lawyer for IT & Telecoms in Singapore, 2016
- Who's Who Legal: Recognised as the International Who's Who of Information Technology in Singapore, 2014, 2015
- Asialaw Profiles: Leading Individual for Corporate/M&A, 2012
- Singapore Academy of Law Prize
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific: Recommended for Corporate and M&A, 2010/2011, 2012
- Author, "Start up India: Opportunities for investors and entrepreneurs", Dentons Rodyk Client Alert, March 1, 2016
- Co-author, "Implementation Of Phase II Of The Revised Companies Act", Business Bulletin, November 2015
- Co-author, "Employment Law: Practical Implications Of The Fair Consideration Framework", Rodyk Reporter - Business Bulletin, December 2013
- Co-author, "Indemnities: Not Personal And Freely Assignable", Rodyk Reporter - Business Bulletin, December 2010
- Author, Chapter on Corporate Governance, Woon's Corporation Law, Issue 30
- Co-author, "Limited Partnerships - A New Business Entity In Singapore", Rodyk Reporter - Business Bulletin, June 2009
- Co-author, "Oculus: A Lesson In Continuing Sponsorship", Rodyk Reporter - Business Bulletin, June 2008
- Author, "Limited Liability Partnership Act Introduces New Business Vehicle", Rodyk Reporter - Business Bulletin, June 2005
- Co-author, "Corporate Governance in Singapore", IFLR Guide to Corporate Governance (International Financial Law Review, 2001)
Activities and Affiliations
- Trends and Best Practices in Engaging with Investors, October 12, 2015
- What Asian (and in particular Singapore) Investors, Businesses Consider Critical And Their Approach To Investments in Brazil and South America, June 23, 2015
- Selling Up Selling Down, May 22, 2015
- Legal Imperatives in as M&A, December 1, 2014
- Shareholders or Stakeholders, October 27, 2014
- Fostering Good Corporate Governance - Implementation Issues, March 5, 2014
- Seminar on Employees' Confidentiality Obligations, January 23, 2014
- Global Corporate Governance Workshop: Governance and Intermediaries - Issues in the non-profit organisation environment, November 13, 2013
- Intermediaries And Governance (Panel Discussion), November 12, 2013
- Seminar on Matrimonial and Probate Matters, October 29, 2013
- Seminar on Matrimonial and Probate Matters, October 21, 2013
- Impact Of Corporate Governance On Directors In Managing The Business, August 21, 2013
- Legal Seminar - Presentation for Rohde & Schwarz, April 29, 2013
- Business Opportunities in Brazil and Latin America, April 12, 2013
- Investing In Singapore, October 19, 2012
- Panel Discussion on "Directors In Crisis - Direct Or Be Directed", October 3, 2012
- Directors In Crisis - Direct Or Be Directed, October 1, 2012
- Shifting The Corporate Governance Responsibility And Burden To Professionals?, September 21, 2012
- The Advantage Of Using Singapore As The Gateway To India, July 27, 2012
- Legal Issues In Starting A Business In The United States, December 7, 2011
- Shifting The Corporate Governance Responsibility And Burden To Professionals?, October 24, 2011
- Pacific Rim Advisory Council (PRAC) Conference, October 15, 2011
- Shareholders' Rights and Meetings, August 16, 2011
- WDA In-House Legal Seminar, October 29, 2010
- Panel Discussion On Entrepreneurship vs. Corporate Career, October 7, 2010
- The Changing Corporate Governance Landscape After Global Financial Crisis, October 5, 2010
- Smart Entrepreneurship In Challenging Times, September 18, 2009
- Law Society Seminar: Roundtable on Employment Issues, June 17, 2009
- Panel Discussion On Global Financial Crisis: Challenges And Opportunities For SMEs, December 12, 2008
- Essentials Of Contracts, July 31, 2008
- Corporate Governance & Risk Management, July 23, 2008
- Update On Corporate Governance, July 17, 2008
- Realising Your Entrepreneurial Dream The Venture Capital Way, June 4, 2008
- Fostering Good Corporate Governance In Singapore, September 26, 2007
- Recent Development And Proposed Changes To The Corporate Governance Regime, September 11, 2007
- What Are Your Responsibilities As A Director, July 25, 2007
- Corporate Governance & Corporate Counsel: Does the Buck Stop Here?, February 8, 2007
- The Art of Making the Deal Work, January 17, 2007
- The Art Of Making The Deal Work, January 15, 2007
- Corporate Governance - Role of Accountants - Just A True And Fair View?, June 30, 2006
- Corporate Strategies For A Changing Asia Mergers & Acquisitions As A Corporate Strategy - Legal & Commercial Issues, March 2, 2006
- Past Chairman, Pacific Rim Advisory Council
- Member, Corporate Governance Committee, Singapore Investors Association of Singapore (SIAS)
- Independent Director, Asian Corporate Advisors Pte Ltd
- Independent Chairman and Director of Liberty Insurance Pte Ltd, member of the Liberty Mutual Group
Prior and Present Employment
- Senior Partner, Dentons Rodyk (formerly Rodyk & Davidson LLP) (1987 - present)