Vanessa Lim is a partner in Dentons Rodyk's Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice.
Vanessa's primary practice is civil and commercial litigation. As a general commercial litigator, she has worked on a range of matters, including banking and insolvency disputes, cases involving corporate fraud, tortious and personal injury claims.
Vanessa has a particular interest in professional negligence, and focuses on medical malpractice. She has advised and acted for hospitals and doctors in medical negligence suits in both the High Court and State Courts. She also represents medical practitioners in professional disciplinary proceedings commenced by the Singapore Medical Council and advises them on regulatory investigations. To date, she has worked with doctors from various practice areas including obstetrics & gynaecology, ophthalmology, paediatrics, cardiology, general surgery, psychiatry, aesthetics practice and family medicine.
Apart from contentious medical malpractice work, Vanessa has advised healthcare institutions on matters including internal processes and protocols.
Vanessa is a non-practising solicitor of England and Wales. She is a member of the Law Society's Supply of Lawyers Sub-committee. She was awarded a LLM in Medical Law (Distinction) from King's College London and is also the prize-winner for best student in the LLM in Medical Law course in 2011.
- Confidential client: Advising and representing medical practitioners in professional disciplinary proceedings before the Singapore Medical Council.
- Various clients: Acting for and advising various hospitals and medical practitioners on litigation in the High Court and State Courts of Singapore.
- Confidential client: Representing a consortium of banks in an insolvency matter involving a company listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- Confidential client: Defending a foodstuffs distributor in the Singapore High Court and Court of Appeal against claims for conspiracy and trademark infringement.
- Confidential client: Acting for a committee of volunteers involved in the privatisation of a Housing and Urban Development Company (HUDC) Estate in a High Court suit commenced by 79 subsidiary proprietors of the estate.
- Confidential client: Defending a provider of educational materials in the Singapore High Court and Court of Appeal against claims for breach of contract.
- Confidential client: Advising a company listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange on financial irregularities in its accounts.
- Confidential client: Acting for a leading accounting firm in a contested winding-up application in the High Court of Singapore by a creditor to convert a members' voluntary winding-up to a compulsory winding-up by the court.
- Confidential client: Advising an international financial institution on insolvency, cross-jurisdictional asset recovery and regulatory issues arising from the discovery of financial irregularities in a corporate borrower's accounts.
- Confidential client: Acting for a leading Asian commercial airline in a major loss case involving litigation commenced by passengers and crew members.
- Confidential client: Acting for a leading Asian commercial airline in a claim for alleged negligence, breach of contract and breach of aviation safety standards by a former crew member in the High Court of Singapore.
- Various clients: Acting for and advising various hospitals and medical practitioners in litigation in the High Court and State Courts of Singapore.
- Confidential client: Appearing before the Court of Appeal on a novel point of law in relation to the limitation period applicable to dependency claims.
- Confidential client: Representing a medical practitioner in his appeal to the Court of Three Judges arising from disciplinary proceedings before the Singapore Medical Council.
- Author, "Dishonesty And The Medical Profession - Finding A Punishment To Fit The 'Crime'", Rodyk Reporter - Litigation Brief, October 2015
- Author, "Preserving Your Rights To Legal Professional Privilege", Rodyk Reporter - Litigation Brief, December 2013
Activities and Affiliations
- Member, Supply of Lawyers Sub-committee, The Law Society of Singapore
- Consent: The Patient's Right To Be Adequately Informed, July 8, 2015
- Seminar for Parkway Hospitals Clinical Safety and Risk Management (CSRM) Department, July 1, 2015
- Legal And Ethical Issues In Healthcare For Parkway College's Advance Certificate In Clinical Governance, May 7, 2009
Prior and Present Employment
- Partner, Dentons Rodyk (formerly Rodyk & Davidson LLP) (2005 - present)
- Wong Partnership, (2002 - 2005)