Zhul A Rahim is a Partner in Dentons Rodyk's Litigation and Dispute Resolution and Arbitration practice groups.
His main areas of practice encompass corporate and shareholder disputes and advisory, admiralty and shipping disputes, antitrust and competition and banking litigation.
Zhul also handles a wide array of commercial matters ranging from intellectual technology litigation, insurance-related claims, employment disputes, family law disputes and Syariah Court matters.
He has advised a number of government statutory bodies on various advisory and regulatory matters.
He handles both wet and dry shipping matters in the Singapore courts and advises owners, banks and shipyards on various aspects of admiralty and shipping disputes including arrests, enforcement of maritime claims, shipbuilding contracts and disputes, and limitation of ship owners' liability.
Zhul's experience in banking litigation extends to advising on banking secrecy, letters of credit, drafting and enforcement of first demand guarantees and enforcement of banking facility claims.
Zhul is a member of the Maritime Law Association of Singapore and a member of the Muslim Law Practice Committee of the Law Society. As part of his pro bono work, Zhul is an assigned solicitor with the Legal Aid Scheme and volunteers in monthly legal clinics.
- Multinational corporation: Acting on competition law and antitrust issues related to investigations conducted by Competition Commission of Singapore.
- Multinational corporation: Acting in an international arbitration related to a financial and commercial fraud of about US$20 million.
- Confidential client: Acting as lead counsel in respect of a Singapore International Arbitration Centre arbitration involving claims worth S$5 million.
- Major insurance company: Acting as lead counsel in a personal injury claim in the High Court.
- Technological firm: Acting in a copyright infringement claim in the High Court involving the use of advanced technological tools and equipment employed in the shipping industry.
- International crewing firm: Acting in an admiralty claim against vessel owners and the successful arrest of an oil rig worth more than US$50 million.
- Employer: Acting for a former employee who was acquitted under a private prosecution brought under the Computer Misuse Act as reported in The Straits Times "Programmer acquitted of 'sabotage'" dated 4 June 2009.
- International oil and gas firm: Advising on a shareholder dispute involving a reverse takeover of a publicly listed company in the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- Multinational corporation: Advising in the clean energy industry on procuring the timely release of a specialist cargo of wind turbines worth an estimated US$50 million on board a vessel which was arrested in foreign jurisdiction.
- Asian Legal Business: Listed as a top 40 Under 40, 2015
- Author, "A Case for Wrongful Arrest: The STX Mumbai," Starboard, October 2014
- Co-author, "Emergency Reliefs In International Arbitration - A SIAC Perspective," Rodyk Reporter - Arbitration Review, June 2012
Activities and Affiliations
- Introduction to Commodity Murabaha: Trading for Islamic Financing, March 2, 2016
- Islamic Law of Inheritance and Wills - A Comprehensive Framework, May 16, 2015
- Emergency Arbitration & Expedited Procedure: A New Mechanism To Effectively Resolve Disputes, April 29, 2015
- International Arbitration, April 22, 2015
- Seminar on Introduction to Islamic Finance, November 11, 2014
- Introduction To Muslim Inheritance Law, May 30, 2014
- How Laws Are Made, August 31, 2013
- Admissibility Of Electronics Evidence In Court, December 13, 2012
- Of Consortia And Contractual Joint Ventures: Leveraging On Strengths With Added Flexibility, November 29, 2012
- Member, Maritime Law Association of Singapore
- Member, Muslim Law Practice Committee of the Law Society
- Director, Singapore Malay Chamber of Commerce & Industry
- Member, Financial and Investments Committee, Association of Muslim Professionals
- Member, National Wages Council of Singapore 2014
Prior and Present Employment
- Partner, Dentons Rodyk (formerly Rodyk & Davidson LLP), 2006 - present