Hsu Li Chuan is a Partner in the Dentons Rodyk Corporate practice.
Li Chuan graduated from the National University of Singapore on a Singapore Armed Forces Training Award. After serving his bond in the armed forces as a combat officer, he was admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor in Singapore.
Li Chuan's main areas of practice encompass corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions and general corporate commercial transactions, with an emphasis on equity capital markets transactions. He is effectively bilingual in both English and Chinese, and has advised various Chinese clients and companies.
Li Chuan has experience in a broad scope of transactions in the area of corporate finance and capital markets, for both listed and private companies. He has acted on initial public offerings (IPOs), with experience as issuer's counsel and underwriter's counsel, share placements and other fundraising transactions. He has also acted for clients in post-listing advisory and compliance. Of recent years, he has been involved in listings of MOG companies.
In the area of mergers and acquisitions, he has experience in mergers and acquisitions for both public and private companies, including reverse takeovers (RTOs).
In the area of private equity investments, he has been involved in fund raising transactions relating to the issue of equity, convertible and debt securities.
Li Chuan has also advised on a wide range of general corporate advisory work ranging from joint ventures, corporate restructurings and debt restructurings.
He is active in his national service duties and currently serves in an infantry brigade, holding the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel. He graduated from the 10th National Service Command and Staff Course from the Singapore Armed Forces' Goh Keng Swee Command and Staff College in 2009.
- Rayhii Investment Limited (Rayhii): Acting as advisers in its investment in Renewable Energy Asia Group Limited (the company) pursuant to a convertible loan agreement (CLA) entered into between Rayhii and the company pertaining to a convertible loan to be provided by Rayhii.
- United Overseas Bank Limited and CIMB Securities (Singapore) Pte. Ltd.: Acting as solicitor on the listing on the Catalist Board of the SGX-ST of Secura Group Limited. The initial public offering of Secura was the first IPO of shares in Singapore of its kind.
- GSH Corporation Limited: Acting for a company listed on the Mainboard of the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited, in its participation in the acquisition and debt restructuring of Sutera Harbour Resort Sdn Bhd and its group of companies (the Sutera Harbour Group) together with TYJ Group Pte Ltd with the injection (collectively with another investor) of an aggregate investment of RM700 million. This proceeded by way of an acquisition by the company of 77.5 percent of the Sutera Harbour Group via the injection of RM510 million worth of equity and loan stock into the Sutera Harbour Group, more particularly, the (i) subscription of an aggregate RM250 million worth of new ordinary shares in the capital of the Sutera Habour Group, and (ii) subscription of an aggregate RM260 million worth of cumulative redeemable preference shares, each bearing a coupon payment rate of 10 percent per annum on the principal subscription price. The total amount of RM700 million to be injected by all investors, including the company, will be used for the repayment of the debts of the Sutera Harbour Group. In connection with the company's acquisition and debt restructuring efforts of the Sutera Harbour Group, the Firm also acted for the company in its acquisition of two neighboring land parcels located in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, by way of the acquisition of 85 percent and 75 percent of the issued shares of the respective Malaysian companies holding each plot of land, namely Mainfield Holdings Ltd and Altheim International Limited.
- Vendor: Acting on the proposed acquisition by See Hup Seng Limited, a company listed on the Mainboard of the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited (SGX-ST), of Hetat Holdings Pte Ltd and its group of companies (Hetat Group) from the vendor, for a total consideration of approximately S$42.4 million, payable in both cash and shares of the company.
- China Environmental Resources Group Limited: Advising to a company with a primary listing on the Mainboard of The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited and a secondary listing on the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited, on the Singapore law aspects of the proposed open offer of not less than 602,988,342 offer shares and not more than 607,6773,342 offer shares at an issue price of HK$0.27 per offer share, on the basis of 33 offer shares for every 10 existing ordinary shares in the capital of the company as of the record date. The gross proceeds is estimated to be in the range of HK$162.8 million to HK$164.1 million.
- ISDN Holdings Limited: Acting for the company listed on the Mainboard of the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited, on the renounceable non-underwritten rights issue (the warrants issue) of up to 179,972,475 warrants at an issue price of S$0.02 for each warrant. Each warrant carries the right to subscribe for one new ordinary share in the capital of the company (the new shares) at an exercise price of S$0.60, on the basis of one warrant for every two existing ordinary shares in the capital of the company as at the books closure date. The gross proceeds from the warrants issue, assuming the warrants are fully subscribed and all warrants are exercised, is approximately S$111.6 million.
- GSH Corporation Limited: Advising to a company listed on the Mainboard of the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited on the placement of new shares to the Lippo group of companies and Asia-focused private equity fund SkyVen Growth Opportunities Fund. The placement raised approximately S$37.5 million in funds.
- GSH Corporation Limited: Advising in the proposed S$14 million investment in the company by prominent investor Sam Goi, and proposing debt to equity conversion of S$4 million of an existing loan.
- Confidential client: Acting for the selling shareholder in the private placement of 80 million shares in a resources company listed on the Indonesian Stock Exchange. The gross proceeds raised from the share placement were Rp548 billion (or approximately S$79 million).
- Communication Design International Limited: Acting for the company listed on the Catalist bourse of the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited on a proposed share exchange transaction between Communication Design International Limited and the shareholders of Sinocom Pharmaceutical Inc, which would have resulted in a reverse takeover of Communication Design International Limited. The transaction value was estimated to be approximately S$300 million.
- China Ouhua Winery Holdings Limited: Advising as legal advisers for a PRC-based producer and distributor of red and white wines on Singapore law in relation to its listing on the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia. The IPO raised proceeds of over RM79 million.
- Confidential client: Advising a proposed investor representing a consortium of investors in relation to a proposed corporate recovery of a company formerly listed on the Mainboard of the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited, involving (i) a debt restructuring through the proposed investor buying over the existing debts of the bank creditors, (ii) a convertible loan to the company by the proposed investor for working capital, and (iii) a restructuring plan through the injection of cash and profitable assets into the company and conversion of purchased debt into equity of the company.
- Global Palm Resources Holdings Limited: Advising the company in the business of the production and sale of crude palm oil and palm kernels in Indonesia on its listing on the Mainboard of the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited and invitation in respect of 110 million new shares comprising three million offer shares by way of public offer and 107 million placement shares by way of placement, at S$0.46 for each offer share and placement share respectively.
- San Teh Ltd: Advising the company listed on the Mainboard of the Singapore Exchange on the proposed disposal of the business of a PRC subsidiary and the entire equity interests of another PRC subsidiary. The transaction value amounted to approximately RMB830 million.
- The Blackstone Group: Advising as legal advisers on Singapore law in its subscription of US$40 million convertible bonds at par and 20 million placement shares at S$0.35 each (total investment value of approximately US$43.7 million) in China Animal Healthcare Ltd, a company listed on the Mainboard of the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited.
- Author, "Removal Of Age Limit For Directors," Business Bulletin, Issue 01 / 2016
- Co-author, "Listing Of Mining Companies On SGX," Rodyk Reporter - Business Bulletin, September 2014
Activities and Affiliations
- Presentation on Independent Directors - Duties and Responsibilities, October 15, 2015
- Singapore Day Seminar, May 29, 2014
- Seminar For Chinese Enterprises in Singapore: Legal Issues Relating To Business Operation, April 25, 2013
- Member, The Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
Prior and Present Employment
- Partner, Dentons Rodyk (formerly Rodyk & Davidson LLP), 2010 - present
- Shook Lin & Bok LLP, 2007 - 2010